Looking for coilovers...

wanna argue about racelands and ohlins? wanna talk about stiffening up your chassis? wanna stiffen the club's chassis? post here
TistheJameson
//elite

Looking for coilovers...

postby TistheJameson » 10/31/13 @ 17:10

hokay soo...
I'm in the market for a new set of coilovers since I don't like my raceland's and I'm tired of adjusting them constantly. I have a few in mind but need some feedback to what I should get if anyone is running them.
options:
1- BC Racing BR series coilovers ($1000)
I know a lot of people that are running them and really like them but nobody on a Miata...
2-FM vmaxx sport pack ($915)- Don't know anyone who runs them but figured it's FM so I'd give it some thought
3-FM vmaxx track pack ($915)- Still Don't know anyone running these but they're the same as the sport's but with stiffer springs
4-FM vmaxx classics- Know a friend who has these and likes them but says he should've gotten the newer gen vmaxx with Dampening adjustments
5-Tein flex if I can find a good condition set of used ones.
6-Tein basis ($689)- Know nothing about these but they look kinda cheap so probably won't go with them
6-Tein Street Advanced ($889)- Never knew these existed until I saw them on 949's website.
7-Koni yellow's, GC sleeve with either Eibach or RB lowering springs on NB top hats

Any info or opinion would be helpful
Don't bother telling me to get Megan's cause I'll tell you to go fuck yourself, Thanks
http://www.shop.TougeWorks.com
Facebook.com/TougeWorks
#TougewWorks
#KINOD
#Puristgroup
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

Re: Looking for coilovers...

postby bigx5murf » 10/31/13 @ 17:12

Check out ST coilovers, they're supposed to be KW V1's, but with less corrosion resistance. They haven't been around as long, so reviews are hard to find.
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
TistheJameson
//elite

postby TistheJameson » 10/31/13 @ 17:18

bigx5murf wrote:Check out ST coilovers, they're supposed to be KW V1's, but with less corrosion resistance. They haven't been around as long, so reviews are hard to find.

Ill look at them meow, do you ordo you know anyone who's running these? I thought about getting the v1's but for the price I figured I'd just go with the v3's
Facebook.com/TougeWorks
#TougewWorks
#KINOD
#Puristgroup
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 10/31/13 @ 17:23

Not on a miata, on other platforms, yea
Sploinkin
//elite

postby Sploinkin » 11/01/13 @ 14:02

I have Tein Basics (precursor to Basis) and they are ok, but 7k/6k springs are a little stiff for me as a daily driver.
phillyb™ wrote:and we still listened. just proving once more that cpb is cooler than your gf
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

postby Skinny » 11/01/13 @ 14:15

I vote BC's

In 30 seconds you'll be dead and I'll be home in time for Corn Flakes.
revlimiter
//elite

postby revlimiter » 11/01/13 @ 14:18

I have TEIN on both my Roadsters. I have no direct experience with their current offerings, but I'd bet that the Street Advance give a really nice DD ride and work decently on the track. The FLEX work great on the track at the expense of some DD comfort.

You might call FM and talk to someone about the VMaxx. They could answer every question you might have.
iRoadster
i'm getting there...

postby iRoadster » 11/01/13 @ 15:06

Sploinkin wrote:I have Tein Basics (precursor to Basis) and they are ok, but 7k/6k springs are a little stiff for me as a daily driver.

I've got the same except I opted for 5kg rear springs, and I added NB top hats and Fat Cat bumpstops.

While I don't really have anything to compare them to, I'd say they're decent, but could still be easily improved upon.
Swank Force One
i'm getting there...

postby Swank Force One » 11/01/13 @ 16:13

Tekel has the VMAXXXXXXXXXX SUPER EXTREME TRAKKKKKKK PAKKKKKK XXXXXXXX on his car. It's kindof awesome.
Masdur’s Godo Design Language shows its face in the m.nert swagger build, comprete with #SWAG bundle #4 Sponsored by LevRimiter and Sproinkin
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 11/09/13 @ 13:27

Question.. What will be the purpose of your coilovers... Dd only.. Track ... Light track

That will sway me to different options.. Someone local to me had the vmaxx for track and he kept breaking something on them...he has used the warranty twice on them.. Whose to say they are bad? Not me, he could have just been unlucky with his cause he tracks his car hard

Flying and shit
Brutus- 1.6l "meow" turbo miata
TistheJameson
//elite

postby TistheJameson » 11/14/13 @ 07:01

Crazyblackman wrote:Question.. What will be the purpose of your coilovers... Dd only.. Track ... Light track

That will sway me to different options.. Someone local to me had the vmaxx for track and he kept breaking something on them...he has used the warranty twice on them.. Whose to say they are bad? Not me, he could have just been unlucky with his cause he tracks his car hard

Flying and shit

Mostly to track/canyons when I get bored and maybe a stroll to the post office every once in a while. I've never heard or seen anyone have problems with the Vmaxx coils. Yeah might be bad luck or maybe their coils are junk but I'll say they're better than raceland's
Facebook.com/TougeWorks
#TougewWorks
#KINOD
#Puristgroup
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 11/14/13 @ 13:07

I wouldn't say they are junk... I would just say they weren't meant for what he was doing...I mean if the best coilovers can only take so much flying and landing hard before they break

If you JUST tracking and doing canyon runs there's some good options and may want heavy duty shit...but if your doing light tracking and dd status the heavy duty is necessary

What price range are you willing to pay?
theAngryMarmot
//elite

postby theAngryMarmot » 11/14/13 @ 13:37

I have KSports on my car.

Been really happy with them for the 8 months or so. They ride better than the Tein Basics I had last, and they don't change the character of the car's handling.
TistheJameson
//elite

postby TistheJameson » 11/15/13 @ 06:13

Crazyblackman wrote:I wouldn't say they are junk... I would just say they weren't meant for what he was doing...I mean if the best coilovers can only take so much flying and landing hard before they break

If you JUST tracking and doing canyon runs there's some good options and may want heavy duty shit...but if your doing light tracking and dd status the heavy duty is necessary

What price range are you willing to pay?

Yeah that'll do it! I don't have much DDing since I'm starting up a home business (you'll see me as a sponsor soon :p ) but want something stiff. I'm looking to spend around 1k on them and the Vmaxx super burly heavy duty suspension kit fits my criteria. Kinda want FM swaybars to replace my eibach's too
Facebook.com/TougeWorks
#TougewWorks
#KINOD
#Puristgroup
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 11/15/13 @ 22:27

Never upgraded sways yet..but I did just put ksport coilovers in the other day....first impression.. Damn

They obviously ride better than 22year old shocks but the 36 adjustable dampening settings is really nice and easy..you want stiff you can set it to stiff...you want a nice light dd day...set to soft easy

A lot of coilovers have the adjustable dampening settings don't get me wrong but they are def nice

Ksports kontrols are $1050 online...I was gonna go for Bc's but I got a great deal, so yeah and I'm glad I went there instead like Paul said....they don't take away anything only add more
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

postby Skinny » 11/16/13 @ 05:30

Unless you are spending a few grand dont give in to the adjustable dampening argument.....yes, on $1000 coilovers turning the knob does something, but its not accurate and four clicks in either direction are pretty much the same, its essentially soft soft soft soft a little harder a little harder a little harder hard hard hard hard thats what she said.

With that said, I've owned BC's and had Silk Roads on my s14, ridden on countless k-sports, tein setups, cusco, megan, etc and would for sure do the BCs again.
TistheJameson
//elite

postby TistheJameson » 11/28/13 @ 05:19

I have Eibach sways right meow and holy shit they make a big difference! But I realized the front is for a 90-93 and was a bitch to get on so I need to find another front sway. I'm considering the Ksport's cause I get a pretty good discount with them but still kinda want the FM. I'm too indecisive
Facebook.com/TougeWorks
#TougewWorks
#KINOD
#Puristgroup
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

postby Skinny » 11/28/13 @ 06:16

Seefo
n00b

postby Seefo » 12/01/13 @ 22:48

Bilstein shocks - ~$450
450(7"-8")/300(8") (or 325) - QA1 springs - ~$140
Allstar 5" sleeve- $64
Allstart spring seats - $56

$710 total for a great street/track/autocross setup. You didn't give application, so I am suggesting something that can be modified to either or.

RB Hollow 1.125 front. 12mm or the 14mm MSM rear bar.
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 12/02/13 @ 04:01

Seefo wrote:Bilstein shocks - ~$450
450(7"-8")/300(8") (or 325) - QA1 springs - ~$140
Allstar 5" sleeve- $64
Allstart spring seats - $56

$710 total for a great street/track/autocross setup. You didn't give application, so I am suggesting something that can be modified to either or.

RB Hollow 1.125 front. 12mm or the 14mm MSM rear bar.

Sorry, but how are the springs going to stay centered where it meets the top hat with that setup. Not trying to flame here, but 949 was forced to provide spring isolators with Xidas particularly to take care of this issue. Even then, their original design included a rubber spring isolator to serve the same purpose, but was inadequate.
Seefo
n00b

postby Seefo » 12/02/13 @ 12:33

Stock Spring isolator worked just fine for me (its a floppy rubber piece). You can buy many online if you don't like the stock ones. the allstar coilovers come with a spring isolator if you buy the complete kit for $8 more. you can find cheaper ones online. Keeping the plastic isolators in place will involve some epoxy, a rubber backing, or something of your choosing.
EDIT: also, FCM has easy NB hat isolators.
If the setup seems a bit complicated and you just want to open a box and put it on, I think the Tein Flex would be my next choice. Maybe wait on the 949 Tecnas to come out. Emilio has stated early early 2014 as a date...but you know how 949 parts can be.
UncleB
still a n00b

postby UncleB » 12/02/13 @ 16:21

or dont run any like me. It makes all kinds of bad noises.
Seefo
n00b

postby Seefo » 12/02/13 @ 23:24

I did that for a while. There is arguably a small performance benefit for keeping the springs in place, but I wouldn't be on that side of the argument.

The other issue is everything will be more noisy and the springs could rub on the coilover sleeves if they are seated really low on the shock body (or the shock body is really long, like the NB Bilsteins/shocks).
Tom550
n00b

postby Tom550 » 12/11/13 @ 06:16

If you didn't know 949 is working on a cheaper coilover. I was considering some of the Coilovers you listed above until I found out about this. meow I'm just going to wait till these come out.
http://www.miataturbo.net/suspension-br ... styleid=20
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 02/23/14 @ 15:44

I am going to get new coilovers as well. The cheap ones I got are getting busted one by one. I have spoke with a guy that has tuned Miatas since 99 and he has only good things to say about the V-Maxx from Flyin Miata. Anyone got any other options for under 900$?

When are these 949 Racing ones coming out?
99' Miata
Mazduh
//elite

postby Mazduh » 02/24/14 @ 02:04

I just bought stance gr+ for my msm. Couldn't be happier.
05' Mx-5 w/ bolts ons, ms2e, 650cc injectors, stock turbo @12psi.
Instagram: Mazduh

Stoly wrote:Ever tasted a saltier dick than mine?
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 02/24/14 @ 03:53

Teejay187 wrote:I am going to get new coilovers as well. The cheap ones I got are getting busted one by one. I have spoke with a guy that has tuned Miatas since 99 and he has only good things to say about the V-Maxx from Flyin Miata. Anyone got any other options for under 900$?

When are these 949 Racing ones coming out?

You can build your own with that budget. Bilsteins, ebay adjustable sleeves, and some springs from either summit racing or eshocks, by either QA1, hypercoil, eibach, and some NB top hats.

return to “suspension and chassis shit”