Heat Shield / Questions/Comments/Concerns?

got boost? got a pretty engine bay? stuck in gear? rebuild your shifter and then post here
ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex
n00b

Heat Shield / Questions/Comments/Concerns?

postby ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex » 10/13/13 @ 14:14

So after months of work, and several prototypes later, my heat shield is in. I am setting up a temp sensor next week. gonna run the car with, and without the heat shield, all the while recording specific data on air temp AND weather temp. Then ill switch back the stock air box and do the same. My hypothesis is that with the HKS and my heat shield i will have better flow and temp recordings than with no shield or with the stock air box. ill keep you guys posted Questions/comments/concerns?

I can make one for other people too, that is if the right data comes
imageinimageimageimageimage
last edited by ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex on 10/13/13 @ 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
99blkx
workin' it in

Re: DIY Heat Shield / Questions/Comments/Concerns?

postby 99blkx » 10/13/13 @ 14:16

I liked it better when it was cardboard.
spitefulcheerio
//elite

Re: DIY Heat Shield / Questions/Comments/Concerns?

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/13/13 @ 14:26

Unfortunately that won't do much.

The entire engine bay is heated and while it may stop some radiant heat, it isn't enclosed so you'll still be sucking in hot engine bay air. You need to isolate the philter from the engine bay air and bring ambient air in to supply the motor.
01 SE: N/A Racecar Build
Nicktorius™
//elite

Re: Heat Shield / Questions/Comments/Concerns?

postby Nicktorius™ » 10/13/13 @ 15:05

^ Probably that but I'm in for #'s
I'll poop in your butt hole and then you will poop it back into my butt and we will keep doing it back and forth with the same poop. Forever.
xypex982
n00b

postby xypex982 » 10/13/13 @ 20:43

Im in it for the numbers too as I love when people use science rather than just butt dyno and intake sound.

I swear I had seen a similar creation somewhere else on the net (not necessarily on a miata) and the guy put rubber stripping over the top of the heat shield so that it sits flush with the hood when closed so as to help keep away the hot air coming off the headers. I don't recall the effectiveness nor did the guy have a front shock brace in the way so YMMV if you do decided to experiment with that as well.
n00b

postby ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex » 10/13/13 @ 21:28

i originally messed around with the idea of having the top flush with the hood when it closed, but as you mentioned, the strut bar would interfere. eventually i want to design an entire closed box, that has a tube with funneled air from a turn signal intake... and maybe a hinged top door for easy access to the philter..
NJSPEED3
workin' it in

postby NJSPEED3 » 10/14/13 @ 23:52

HKS replacement philter Elements are available in a dry 3-layer, triple density or wet 2-layer, dual density construction. The dry 3-layer type is standard in SMF Reloaded Intake kits, and is designed for superior filtration while still providing excellent airflow. The wet 2-layer type is included in Racing Suction kits and is focused on maximizing airflow for performance, yet still keeping harmful particles from the engine. If your vehicle is in a high dust area, HKS recommends using dry 3-layer elements.

And thats how I feel about this situation :njspeed3:
n00b

postby ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex » 10/15/13 @ 09:21

I cant find the dry 3 layer in 150mm. All the 3 layer i see are 200mm. Im using the 2 layer, and i am a bit worried about filtration, but i change my oil so consistently i HOPE it doesnt cause any issues
slyskiller
jailbait

postby slyskiller » 10/15/13 @ 13:40

That kind of looks the DDMWorks heat shield. The one that comes with the UNI air philter.
n00b

postby ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex » 10/15/13 @ 21:46

Im familiar with the DDM shield. I feel mine is a little less restrictive, and allows for the user to choose whatever type of after market air philter he or she wishes. Its 1.6 and 1.8 compatible which the ddm doesnt work with both air flow meters (i believe they have 2 different types) Also, mine being constructed out of aluminum and covered in Thermo-Tecs adhesive fiber glass foil wrap, protects a little more from radiant heat than DDM works stainless steel shield.
vejatabul
//elite

postby vejatabul » 10/15/13 @ 21:54

So how much radiant heat makes it's way passed the factory heat shield? If you want to make an extremely functional shield, it should be something closer to the factory style, that actually covers the source of the heat.
n00b

postby ClubBannedCoreyosaurusrex » 10/16/13 @ 09:14

Thats a great idea as well
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/16/13 @ 09:21

vejatabul wrote:So how much radiant heat makes it's way passed the factory heat shield? If you want to make an extremely functional shield, it should be something closer to the factory style, that actually covers the source of the heat.

This is a great idea!

But whatever you do, it needs to be completely enclosed.
01 SE: N/A Racecar Build

return to “engine and transmission”