What is the most ghetto thing you have done to a car?

see something cool on the road? rice of the day? do you know what jumper cables are?
vfbj1584
i'm getting there...

Re: What is the most ghetto thing you have done to a car?

postby vfbj1584 » 10/30/13 @ 23:45

bigx5murf wrote:
vfbj1584 wrote:
bigx5murf wrote:^What size sub does that require? That's so going to be someone's prank present this xmas.

Omg that's genius! How've you been Oliver!? Long time no talk!

What's up? You're from speed forums right?

derp. I was sad as fuck when they went under... but know I get to make phun oph philly... and I want a race Miata anyway lol
revlimiter
//elite

postby revlimiter » 10/31/13 @ 00:52

I had an old 4 door Civic for a daily a while back. I lost the starter switch. It just died and refused to work again. So, I hot-wired it. Insert key, unlock wheel, jumper START to RUN. Vrooooom!

I drove like that for a couple weeks while waiting for the part to come in.
LuckyE85
n00b

postby LuckyE85 » 10/31/13 @ 03:43

Got a bunch for the old Civic hatch. *sigh* It was a long time ago, and I was very....young.

-Took a rock in one of my JDM (shutup) foglight lenses, so I bought some replacement universals from kragen and drilled them into the frame behind the foglight bezels.

This one is more redneck, come to think of it:
-Gutted the interior to fit a ton of firewood for a camping trip, and rally slid up the gravel and mud roads all the way to the campsite. The paint needed some recoating after that.

-Got the paintjob at Maaco.
john90
//elite

postby john90 » 10/31/13 @ 10:20

LuckyE85 wrote:-Gutted the interior to fit a ton of firewood for a camping trip, and rally slid up the gravel and mud roads all the way to the campsite. The paint needed some recoating after that.

-Got the paintjob at Maaco.

That actually sounds like fun
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/31/13 @ 10:42

yeah he was on sf.
don't get caught
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 10/31/13 @ 18:21

Not me, but a local kid

Here's the same kid

He's kinda famous around here, while he was still bandaged and slinged up he asked to drive my car, i asked how well he cleaned off the gasoline and attempted to relight him on fire.

Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
simpl
still a n00b

postby simpl » 11/01/13 @ 01:36

And I thought I was ghetto... Only thing ghetto on my NA is the flexy part of the intake tube ripped and I wrapped it in blue painters tape since there was no electrical tape..

Also recently hard-wired my fan because the thermo-switch died and I'm poor lol
Agp35
TUNASUB

postby Agp35 » 11/01/13 @ 14:04

My parent's we're tired of my Integra's shit (the stuff I did to ruin it and the slave/master cylinder went out and my dad thought it was the end of the world) and my dad woke me up one day and said " hey we're trading your car in today".

We went to the chevy dealership, and traded in the integra for $2,000 and they leased a 2012 Chevy Cruze, and that was meow mine to drive. as an 18 year old, it was a great car. as an 18 year old who loved cars, it was the worst car in the world.

I didn't give a shit about that thing. my "it's under warranty" mindset provoked me to do e-brake slides and burnouts in the rain all the time.

one morning, my friend and I went to taco bell at 3a.m. it was about 5 degrees outside, and I wanted to be warm, so what did i do? put the transmission into "manual mode", kept it in first gear, and drove 25 mph at the redline for about 10 minutes in first so the engine would heat up faster. Whoever buys that car after the lease is up, Will have many problems down the line.
revlimiter
//elite

postby revlimiter » 11/01/13 @ 14:26

How to separate springs and shocks:

1) Remove spring/shock assembly from car.
2) Remove floor mat from car.
3) Wrap floor mat around the spring. Aim the shock at a solid object you do not care about.
4) Grab impact driver. Apply to top nut on spring.
5) BRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr-ZOOM
6) Locate the shock across the shop. Go inspect it.
7) repeat 3x.
Waffles
//elite

postby Waffles » 11/01/13 @ 14:27

I tend to skip step 3. just let it all fly apart.
theAngryMarmot
//elite

postby theAngryMarmot » 11/03/13 @ 00:42

revlimiter wrote:How to separate springs and shocks:

1) Remove spring/shock assembly from car.
2) Remove floor mat from car.
3) Wrap floor mat around the spring. Aim the shock at a solid object you do not care about.
4) Grab impact driver. Apply to top nut on spring.
5) BRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr-ZOOM
6) Locate the shock across the shop. Go inspect it.
7) repeat 3x.

Lol, I did something similar once with some Lotus Europa coilovers. We used a lot of zipties to hold the spring compressed, and hoped for the best. Worked out well though, no flying parts and the tensile strength of zip ties was amazing lol.
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 11/03/13 @ 02:20

another zip ties on spring story...

Anyway, today I invented the "elbow to thigh vice" and the "arm jigs"
mx5 2nr
n00b

postby mx5 2nr » 05/22/14 @ 10:37

Waffles wrote:I made a "Cold Air intake" for my 87 camry out of dryer ducting....

haha! i did the same back in the day with my '91 Prelude!

My current ghetto-tuning moment is securing a Braille Battery in my NA utilizing "custom cut" styrofoam from the box my paper shredder came in...

/'90 Miata/'13 FRS/'08 F150/'12 Mustang/
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 05/22/14 @ 10:56

bigx5murf wrote:Not me, but a local kid

updates meow!
don't get caught
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 05/22/14 @ 12:25

^ Hahahahaha.

1. He didn't have insurance.
B. The "GV style" tail lamp surround is actually made of cheese.
D. Tape < Zip Ties
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
RevolverRob
workin' it in

postby RevolverRob » 05/25/14 @ 13:32

I had the most ghetto fucking car about 7 years ago. It was a 1991 Honda Accord - We called it, "The Shit Brown Honda O'Doom." It had a 2.2/5spd with 145k miles, 12 Ohio winters, and no A/C when I got it. I drove that bitch 30k in 2 years and never changed the oil once. Because if you let it sit for a week it would leak 3 quarts of oil, if you drove it 200 miles at 80 mph it would burn 3 quarts of oil. If you drove it 200 miles at 79 mph, though? It would burn 1 quart. I just bought oil by the case and left it in the trunk with a funnel.

That thing was ghetto as fuck when I got it. The shocks, and springs had collapsed so it looked mad lowered. It had four steelies and some cheap Firestone all seasons. One time, I got a flat and it was cold as balls outside. So, I jacked the car up, swapped on the spare, threw the lugs on, and took off to get the tire fixed. As I was driving I heard this wonky noise...Then BOOM! The wheel fell off and I see it roll past my passenger side...I drove 150 feet on three wheels, with my brake drum dragging the ground. I hopped out, jacked the car up, found 4 spare lug nuts in the trunk (that's how ghetto this car was, when I got it, it had 6 spare lug nuts in the trunk, WTF?), put the wheel on - TIGHTENED the lug nuts and kept driving.

Then once I took the car driving with my university car club - I got the brakes so hot, I welded the spindle nut to the rotor, so when I went to replace the rotors and pads a few months later (because I broke a brake pad), I couldn't. So...I just threw new pads on that bitch, bedded them in and kept driving. Same trip I got the clutch so hot from doing burnouts in a high school parking lot, that we jacked the car up, loosened the bellhousing up in a parking lot and knocked material off the clutch to make it grab again.

In the summer the car wouldn't start, because the solder Honda used in their relays would get hot and get soft in the summer. So, I kept two starter relays. One in the house, in the freezer, and one in the car and would swap them out, always leaving one in my pocket or something.

The rear windows wouldn't roll up all the way in the car, without "helping" them. The trunk leaked water when it rained. The holes in the rear fenders you could put your fist through. And I blew a head gasket racing a Nissan 230SX on the freeway.

I got the car for free from an ex-girlfriend's dad and sold it 2 years, 30k later, for $100 cash.

Fuck I miss that car sometimes. I took my wife out on our first date in that car. I drove it up to a really fancy restaurant here in town once that only had valet parking, to meet my sister for dinner. The chick I was with (super hot piece of Latina tail, sorry no pics) was like, "Are you leaving this car with the valet?!" I hopped out of the car, tossed the valet the keys and said, "I know where all the scratches are, my man." Then tipped him 5 bucks.

-Rob
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 06/03/14 @ 04:00

phillyb™ wrote:
bigx5murf wrote:Not me, but a local kid

updates meow!

Well, first he was featured on TruTV, World's Dumbest, earning the title "World's Dumbest Mechanic"

Then he was on Fast n Loud, I couldn't get the youtube video to play, some shit about being in wrong region. This is all I got, a screen cap, we meme'd

Redemption? sorta?

It actually does run.

Kid was bragging the car can spin into 4th gear. Neglected to mention that's with 195 width All Season nittos. I know the car currently has no front sway bar. Because dumb ass actually asked people if it's a good idea to put his FSB in the rear, and run no front bar since it's going to be a drift car. He kept insisting he was pioneering some new crazy shit we grip people didn't know about, and that people like us were stiffing innovation. Until Danny George got involved in the FB thread and said, no don't do that, you're an idiot if you do.
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 05/04/15 @ 23:01

My old Miata sold with Duct tape holding the passenger engine mount together..
HELLAbeefy
donated to the club!

postby HELLAbeefy » 10/09/15 @ 11:58

do 26s on a tahoe count?

how about oil drum bcl wing

used my trunk as a ice chest

side latches for my top?
:suicide: hadred NA8 :suicide:
ford festiva (g23 honda swap, 280whp)camS pistons exhaust ITB
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/09/15 @ 12:30

anything you do to a car counts.
don't get caught
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 10/10/15 @ 10:45

aahahaha

I think using coathanger to hang an exhaust can be considered ghetto
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/12/15 @ 11:37

i did a battery relocation on my ms3 to BEHIND THE DRIVER'S SEAT
don't get caught
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 10/13/15 @ 20:51

Shaved WAAAAYYYY too much off of my d15 head after a couple spark plugs broke from an overheating issue due to a stuck thermostat and tomato'd upper coolant hose.

The EF ate almost as much oil as 87 when I sold it.

Never able to find the consumption or leak.

Learned racing seats and wu tang stickers sell cars.
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:

return to “general car discussion”