Experiences with prescription drugs

where you read and write shit while you shit
Highschool
//elite

Experiences with prescription drugs

postby Highschool » 01/13/16 @ 20:54

I'd like to share some of my adult experiences with prescription drugs.

Pregablin (Lyrica) - anticonvulsant drug used for neuropathic pain and as an adjunct therapy for partial seizures. It has also been used to treat epilepsy, post-herpetic neuralgia, diabetic peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia.

Haven't had great results with it thus far. Helps with some of the nerve pain and the side effects have been minimal. Dealing with a bit of drowsiness, fatigue, and pain. Has been helping me sleep for much longer periods of time than normal.

Gabapetin (Neurontin) - originally developed to treat epilepsy, and currently is also used to relieve neuropathic pain.
It is also commonly prescribed by doctors for many off-label treatments, such as restless leg syndrome, insomnia, and bipolar disorder.

One month of this @ the 300mg level was enough for me to walk away from it forever. It was very helpful with calming my legs, back, and arm. Unfortunately, I almost lost my mind. Dropping things became a daily problem, and my memory was nonexistent. Insomnia mixed with confusion and blurry vision pushed me to stop the drug.

:suicide:

Methocarbamol (robaxin®/robaxin®-750) - carbamate derivative of guaifenesin, is a central nervous system (CNS) depressant with sedative and musculoskeletal relaxant properties.

Results? Wonderful. Went for about a month without them thanks to a prescription mistake. Felt way more tense and greater sensation to pain while I was without them.

Oxycodone - semisynthetic opioid analgesic

Spent time on just about every phorm of this narco. Happiness, confussion, and the ability to block most pain concerns.... How? You just won't care about the pain anymore. Just don't plan on posting in the 'Poop Thread' anytime soon.

Dilaudid (hydromorphone hydrochloride) - hydrogenated ketone of morphine, is an opioid analgesic.

Feel like you're about to die? Ask for this immediately.

Morphine - pain killer used for injuries less severe in nature.

I know when it's being used because the arm burn is wild. Usually doesn't agree with my stomach, but worth the benefits.

Hydromorphone - more common synonym for dihydromorphinone. basically, time released morphine.

Huge phan of these for long term severe pain. Major benefit is not passing out or pheeling tired.

It has been a while since I visited, but it's only because I've been in a dark place recently. There is a lot moAr I will share in the future. I know the clubphillyb crew tends to have less than stellar health, and I'd love to read about your experiences as well.
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
Derek
donated to the club!

Re: Experiences with prescription drugs

postby Derek » 01/14/16 @ 18:27

After my last surgery I was on low dose oxy. The night after my surgery I woke up multiple times and felt like I was laboring for breath.

I stopped taking it the next day, fuck all that shit. Opiates kill people by suppressing your respiration.

I had Tylenol with codeine when I had Lyme as a child, I just remember I slept a lot. That was probably the meds and the Lyme in combination.
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 01/15/16 @ 21:33

Derek » thu Jan 14, 2016 5:27 pm wrote:After my last surgery I was on low dose oxy. The night after my surgery I woke up multiple times and felt like I was laboring for breath.

I stopped taking it the next day, fuck all that shit. Opiates kill people by suppressing your respiration.

Sounds like the side effects weren't worth the benefits for you. With knee surgery they should have kept your medications pretty simple. Hydrocodone is pretty common. People need to be careful with oxycontin because it's basically synthetic heroin. Almost positive the largest I've had were 20mg's. Can't imagine what an 80 would do to me!
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 01/17/16 @ 18:51

This was an informative read. I work in the pharmacy business and I never use drugs, and with good reason I guess. Much of these side effects scare the hell out of me.
99' Miata
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 02/11/16 @ 04:31

Teejay187 » sun Jan 17, 2016 5:51 pm wrote:This was an informative read. I work in the pharmacy business and I never use drugs, and with good reason I guess. Much of these side effects scare the hell out of me.

Ironic you say this. My father was in the industry most of his life. Was responsible for marketing and distribution for a $5 billion dollar company. Also helped create things like DDAVP, Maalox, and some of the HIV drugs being used today in the 'cocktail.'

DDAVP® Nasal Spray (desmopressin acetate) is a synthetic analogue of the natural pituitary hormone 8-arginine vasopressin (ADH), an antidiuretic hormone affecting renal water conservation.

Simply put? This was designed for children who had accidents in their sleep at older ages. The nasal spray prevented these accidents thus allowing the youth to participate in things like 'sleep overs' with friends. I know quite a few people who's lives were changed dramatically for the better thanks to this drug.

"I'm having a Maalox moment." - Antacid

Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 05/11/16 @ 00:40

Update:

After having Lyrica rejected by my health insurance provider, I had a big decision to make. The cost of using Lyrica was astounding if I chose to pay for it out of pocket. Roughly $8 per pill twice daily. Instead, my doctor moved me over to Cymbalta. Generally used for severe mood disorders and known to help with neuropathic pain. The side effects weren't desirable. The struggle to find an appropriate drug to assist my pain had to move in the direction of opiates.

I told the doctor that was not an option. Having a child on the way made my decision easy. Using a very addictive pain killer just isn't an option anymore.

Currently I have had success using a very traditional TCA called Nortriptyline. Nortriptyline is a second-generation tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) marketed as the hydrochloride salt under the trade names Sensoval, Aventyl, Pamelor, Norpress, Allegron, Noritren and Nortrilen. It is used in the treatment of major depression and childhood nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting). Its off-label uses include treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome[citation needed], chronic pain and migraine, and labile affect in some neurological disorders. I have yet to experience major side effects even though I am very close to the maximum dose used for pain management. Larger doses are commonly used to treat neurological disorders.

The combination of lidocaine patches, Nortiptyline 25mg, and methocarbamol 750 mg is where things stand today. I feel like it is a combination that has not changed who I am mentally.

My future is still in question. I have been given the option to have an electronic device implanted into my spinal column via electronic leads. The device designed and utilized by St. Jude is a spinal cord stimulator. It basically tricks the brain into ignoring the pain stimuli created from my recent (haha) trauma. Controlled by an Iphone application, the electronic stimulator is worn on the outside of my body. Leads are implanted during surgery into my spinal column with electrodes. Exiting from my lower back, the leads are connected to the stimulator. Every night I will plug into a power source to recharge the system.

Have I decided to do it? No. Fearing I will not be able to enjoy the things I love like skating, skiing, and trampolines made my decision easy. Being in my early thirties with an electronic device that could hurt me further should I fall, twist, or go through another trauma doesn't sound like a solution quite yet.

Care to see what it's all about? Link: https://www.poweroveryourpain.com/
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 05/15/16 @ 07:51

So the insurance company can just do that? But Obamacare, bro!?

I agree with you on the choices you made. Also, everyone is different, so getting the right drugs, amount and combination can be difficult. I am really glad you found something that works.

Does the poweroveryourpain-device come with an Android app as well? Joke aside. Wireless stuff scares the hell out of me.
99' Miata
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 05/25/16 @ 01:52

Teejay187 wrote:So the insurance company can just do that? But Obamacare, bro!?

I agree with you on the choices you made. Also, everyone is different, so getting the right drugs, amount and combination can be difficult. I am really glad you found something that works.

Does the poweroveryourpain-device come with an Android app as well? Joke aside. Wireless stuff scares the hell out of me.

I can't wait to show you what my constant negotiations with the insurance companies, hospitals, and therapy locations has led to. It's amazing what you can do if you really focus and learn how to handle even the most intimidating financial circumstances. People who get frustrated or quit fighting for their rights are the ones most often taken advantage of by these enormous corporations. Statistically, the vast majority of those in my situation will simply fail to put in the effort necessary to protect themselves. Last week I received quite a bit of mail. I will share more details in the near future.

The choices I have made are still difficult to live with. But, I have a baby on the way and am notorious for hurting myself. The last thing I need are drugs to cloud my psyche and electrodes in my spinal column.

...and yes, for you anti-apple phanatics, there is an available Android app as well. We need to talk cell phone choices for me in the near future. I have difficulty controlling my hands at times and broke my first phone. Lasted a solid 5 or so years. Will be attempting to replace the glass and adhere the old digitizer soon.
(Sidenote) There is no way I will ever sign a new Verizon contract. The one I currently have has unlimited data and never expires. What makes it exceptional is that we have unlimited data usage without 'throttling'. This allows us to use navigation in our vehicles, watch Netflix, browse the web, and send pictures as we please. My next goal is to use my new device, whatever that is, to tether heavily for business purposes.
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 01/15/17 @ 13:00

Hope all of you are doing well. It has been quite some time since the accident. Happy to say insurance negotiations and most of my medical care have come to an end. Still have a battle to fight with my medical insurance charges, but at least I'll see some cash soon.

Kiernan is getting big... He's already six months old and beginning to figure out how the world works. Just rolled over for the first time the other day. Can't wait to show him off to you guys in the near future.

Thank you all for your support. I've been a bit distant since Kiernan was born and starting a new position, but I think about you guys all the time!

return to “off topic”