So, the guy who bought Rooster...

where you read and write shit while you shit
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

So, the guy who bought Rooster...

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/10/13 @ 22:53

Awesome guy. We ended up going out to dinner with him and his wife after we exchanged cash and keys.

Anyway - he gets home and texts me. He can't get the key out of the ignition. He used the spare key instead of the main key - which I have not used since installing the Sazaire Factory dress-up kit. The key is stuck.

Suckage. I've been texting him advice but, honestly, not much more I can say other than - it's the dress up kit. Muscle it out and destroy the kit if you have to.

I hate that this is his first impression after the drive home.
I used to have a Miata. Before that, I had a Miata.
Stoly
#loftlife

Re: So, the guy who bought Rooster...

postby Stoly » 10/10/13 @ 23:00

Not gonna lie, I laughed. BUT! Only because I've had transactions like that... nicest guy, everything went smooth, appreciates what he bought, etc. Hour later Murphy's Law shows up and I know that sinking feeling... sucks.
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/10/13 @ 23:05

hahahah!!!!
sazaire factory ignition cover? @mk2tmr2
don't get caught
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 10/10/13 @ 23:07

I hope you find a solution, man! That's a rough way to start :(
-Bryan
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/10/13 @ 23:16

Yeah. Sazaire ignition cover. He used the spare key instead of the main key with the plastic head. Apparently the spare typically gets stuck.

An hour and a half of text message tech support and he got it out. What finally worked was having him tap on the inner portion of the Sazaire cover with a long screwdriver and a hammer. That did the trick. The key pushed in, turned fully to the OFF position and came out.

He then immediately stuck the other key in the ignition to confirm it worked. Luckily it did. I told him that probably wasn't what I'd have done but I'm glad it worked out. haha
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/10/13 @ 23:17

that sucks for him.

that's apparently a well-documented issue
don't get caught
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/10/13 @ 23:22

Indeed. I was afraid it would happen to me when I first installed the kit. I never had even a tiny bit of added friction.

Seems to be that damned spare key that's the issue.
Sploinkin
//elite

postby Sploinkin » 10/11/13 @ 16:14

All you phancy phucks with spare keys.
phillyb™ wrote:and we still listened. just proving once more that cpb is cooler than your gf
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/11/13 @ 16:27

Haha wow, at least he was able to get it out fairly easy! What was it like watching him drive off with your (his) car? It'd be hard for me to let such a beautiful car go, looks like it went to a good home though.
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/12/13 @ 23:48

I actually didn't see him drive off. I think it's better that I didn't. We had dinner a block or two from my office (where we met for the transaction) and it's walking distance. So he and his wife walked. Since I had my wife and 2 kids, we took the car and parked right outside the restaurant. We left straight from there.

It's been weird, the last couple days, not walking past the car 6 or 8 times a day. Very strange with him being gone.
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/12/13 @ 23:58

dude so sad.
this car has been through some high profile owners...

randy and you...

hope the flip side is ok
don't get caught
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 10/16/13 @ 12:52

Sad to see it go. If a key getting stuck in the tumbler is the worst thing that happens, they've got nothing to gripe about. Don't take a mechanical failure / issue personally.... That car is beautiful.

Any idea what's next for you?
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
simpl
still a n00b

postby simpl » 10/16/13 @ 13:40

At least it went to a great new owner. There will always be the next project to walk past 6-8 times a day and suck up your free time :D lol
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 10/16/13 @ 14:28

mk2tmr2 wrote:I actually didn't see him drive off. I think it's better that I didn't. We had dinner a block or two from my office (where we met for the transaction) and it's walking distance. So he and his wife walked. Since I had my wife and 2 kids, we took the car and parked right outside the restaurant. We left straight from there.

It's been weird, the last couple days, not walking past the car 6 or 8 times a day. Very strange with him being gone.

I totally get it. When I got rid of Junior (which'd been my only car for about two of my four years of ownership), I was lucky enough to walk away and hop a bus to get The Tick (my current car). Of course, I had a nearly 5hr drive from Cincinnati to Knoxville (where I sold Junior) to say goodbye.

What cracks me up is that a couple years ago I got a PM out of the blue from someone on CRn who sent me pics of the car (he'd bought it from the friend I'd sold it to) and asked if I remembered any of its history. My reaction was MUCH more emotional than I'd have guessed--even several years later.
-Bryan

return to “off topic”