Childhood Hero Thread

where you read and write shit while you shit
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

Childhood Hero Thread

postby Skinny » 10/17/13 @ 18:58

I'm curious, especially some of the dudes around my age, growing up, who was your hero?

I've always been a fan of Mr. Mansell. It might have been the stash, maybe his choice of hats, but Nigel has always been an idol.

Just look at this glorious bastard!

F1 was stylish back then

Who wants a moustache ride?

Damn, right she does.

Senna? You mean the man who grows a stache this big?

Damn right. Childhood hero.
Nigel fucking Mansell

In 30 seconds you'll be dead and I'll be home in time for Corn Flakes.
Goldielocks
still a n00b

Re: Childhood Hero Thread

postby Goldielocks » 10/17/13 @ 23:03

My Dad. Before you get all "how original" on me, hear me out.
He dropped out of college after less than a semester to play in a rock band. Toured up and down the East Coast then got a job as a sander at a guitar company, worked his way up. Quit to run his own furniture building business, had one of the chairs he made in an exhibit in the Smithsonian. Was asked to come back to that guitar company. He meow runs one of the most prominent guitar companies in the country... All while raising six kids and racing cars on the side. The man's a beast.
ThatWhiteBG
Pheels good, man.

postby ThatWhiteBG » 10/17/13 @ 23:57

My childhood hero? A man who needs no introduction.

- That's just the nature of the beach. - マツダ
revlimiter
//elite

postby revlimiter » 10/18/13 @ 00:42

Optimus Prime. And he still is.

braytonia
//elite

postby braytonia » 10/18/13 @ 03:21

Well Duh!!
10% of everything I sell will be donated back to phillyb™ and his phorum! So buy my parts and help this phorum grow!!
vfbj1584
i'm getting there...

postby vfbj1584 » 10/18/13 @ 03:47

Goldielocks wrote:My Dad. Before you get all "how original" on me, hear me out.
He dropped out of college after less than a semester to play in a rock band. Toured up and down the East Coast then got a job as a sander at a guitar company, worked his way up. Quit to run his own furniture building business, had one of the chairs he made in an exhibit in the Smithsonian. Was asked to come back to that guitar company. He meow runs one of the most prominent guitar companies in the country... All while raising six kids and racing cars on the side. The man's a beast.

I couldn't agree more, without a doubt my dad was my hero growing up. A year or so after I was born him and my mom where at a motorcycle rally in Newport Rhode Island, they ate at a seafood buffet and had bad scallops, pulling out of the parking lot the seafood poisoning hit him, pushed the kickstand and fell of the bike (mom and bike fell onto the stand thank god) but when he recovered and was cleared to return to work he was given a offer for early retirement without penalty to he did and become a stay at home dad. My love of cars is because of him (although he grew up and leaves everything stock) I learned the value of a car and giving it proper love and maintenance from him. Along with how to fix anything in the house from plumbing to electrical... Although he's getting old and truly becoming a pain in my ass he's always been there for anything I could ever need, from teaching me to ride bikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and drive to making sure I made every practice. He's the ideal rolemodel/hero and what I think every parent should aspire to be.
braytonia
//elite

postby braytonia » 10/18/13 @ 03:50

vfbj1584 wrote:
Goldielocks wrote:My Dad. Before you get all "how original" on me, hear me out.

I couldn't agree more, without a doubt my dad was my hero growing up. A year or so after I was born him and my mom where at a motorcycle rally in Newport Rhode Island, they ate at a seafood buffet and had bad scallops, pulling out of the parking lot the seafood poisoning hit him, pushed the kickstand and fell of the bike (mom and bike fell onto the stand thank god) but when he recovered and was cleared to return to work he was given a offer for early retirement without penalty to he did and become a stay at home dad. My love of cars is because of him (although he grew up and leaves everything stock) I learned the value of a car and giving it proper love and maintenance from him. Along with how to fix anything in the house from plumbing to electrical... Although he's getting old and truly becoming a pain in my ass he's always been there for anything I could ever need, from teaching me to ride bikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and drive to making sure I made every practice. He's the ideal rolemodel/hero and what I think every parent should aspire to be.

Sure wish I had a dad like you guys... My dad left when I was born because he couldn't handle all my complications at birth. Fuck it, I grew up just fine with out him!
10% of everything I sell will be donated back to phillyb™ and his phorum! So buy my parts and help this phorum grow!!
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

postby Skinny » 10/18/13 @ 04:23

Bill Nye was great, I was past heroa and idols at his time of tv shows.

Adam, was more of a Megatron man myself.......
In 30 seconds you'll be dead and I'll be home in time for Corn Flakes.
minto
//elite

postby minto » 10/18/13 @ 09:32

I dont really have a childhood hero but I looked up to My older cousin Sarah a lot. She taught me how to snowboard and how to enjoy life from a different perspective from the schools and parents.

She taught me a lot of good values, and she's always been there for me even though she moved to New Zealand and I havent seen her in years meow.. Im moving over next Sept to live with her for a year and I dont think I have been so excited before ever in my life.

Shes coming over here in Dec for christmas. Its literally been years and years.
[ Minty.Fresh NA8 | RX8 | JZX100 ]
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/18/13 @ 11:10

don mattingly

don't get caught
theAngryMarmot
//elite

postby theAngryMarmot » 10/18/13 @ 12:37

I was a huge aviation fan growing up (still am..) I spent hours playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat.

I got to meet him in 1993 @ the EAA Fly-In. Was pretty awesome.

But I would say the biggest influence on my life was a teacher named Bobby Woods. He taught various computer related classes and chaperoned a high school club that I was involved in.

He was the Technology Teacher at Marshall County High School, and our Advisor for a club called Technology Student Association.

I can honestly say without his influence I would still be stuck in my home town in the same rut most people I grew up with are stuck in. Low pay, low quality of life, low aspirations, and low skill.

I would be sitting on my couch currently drinking cheap beer watching Jerry Springer on TV in Benton KY making 15k a year, married to whatever the first chick I could get drunk and knock up - instead of living in Phoenix, sitting in my nice office designing and building custom machines, and had the amazing opportunities over the years.

He went so far above and beyond for the kids that were involved in his classes and club that the man should be given a medal. Without him I never would have left Western Kentucky while growing up. Because of his efforts I was able to travel (Chicago, Washington DC, Pittsburg, Tampa, Oklahoma City, etc.)

Where my parents did not support my interests - he did - and through his own efforts and financial support I was able to travel the country and win awards. He did this for several kids while I was in school - and all of them have become successful. He provided the encouragement, life advice, and knowledge every kid should have.

He genuinely cultivated great people through his teaching. He cared about his students - and it shows. I graduated in 1997 and not a day go by that I don't appreciate what he does.

He got me my first real job (teaching AutoCAD!) He also allowed me to come back after I graduated and share what I had learned in specialty classes to students who were interested. He never lost his patience, he never complained, and his office was always open.

It makes me really, really proud when I see my wife (teacher) basically doing the same thing with her kids. That is why I never, ever complain when we have to spend our own money for things related to her classroom.
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/18/13 @ 12:48

I would say my dad as well. He came to this country at age 2 with his mom with nothing. I mean nothing. Growing up he had just his mom and turned out pretty ok given the cards he was dealt, which are crap. He was able to go to an ok school and finished college, then later pursued a degree in law. . He finally graduated and then went to law school and is meow a moderately successful attorney with his own business. You know how running your own business goes.

I hope one day to finish his footsteps and take the business to a further step.
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 10/21/13 @ 14:27

Chris Edwards.

Best skater ever.

Took some of the worst falls I've ever witnessed, but walks away everytime.
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:

return to “off topic”