DIY Randall intake (fits with a/c, ps, cruise, etc)

how to do shit yourself
banned
still a n00b

DIY Randall intake (fits with a/c, ps, cruise, etc)

postby banned » 10/13/13 @ 13:00

Well I have A/C, power steering, and cruise control that came with my car. I also wanted to install a Randall cold air intake back in the day, but quickly realized that the piece won't fit with all the creature comforts in there. So, instead, I built my own utilizing the stock airbox and a bendy hose. If you have all the goodies installed on your car, this is for you then.

Notes:

In case you're wondering, this is the best type of CAI for an n/a car since it draws air from outside the engine bay in a high-pressure area. Kinda works like cowl induction does.

Also, I've seen other DIY Randall intakes with people using bendy tubing extending from an encased cone philter (ah philly, I see what you did there). You may have seen the Ractive encased cone philters; this is what I'm talking about. But in a 90-93, we have the blasted AFM which takes up room, is considered a bottleneck, and all around just makes using an encased cone philter pretty much impossible. So I had to utilize the stock airbox here. If you have an AFM with cruise, A/C and power steering/brakes, and you can manage to use an encased cone philter, LET ME KNOW!

Guess I'll start with the obvious...these are the parts you'll need:

-Drop-in air philter for the stock airbox. I used a K&N.
-Spectre bendy intake tube thing. Got mine from Autozone behind the counter.
-Two silicone couplers with the metal band. You can find these at Lowe's for PVC piping.
I think one's a 3" size and the other is a 4" > 3" adapter. Not sure of the sizes I used as I did this years ago. The 3" one needs to fit snugly inside the bendy tube, while the other one needs to be able to slip over the airbox opening and the bendy tube. You'll see what I mean in the pictures.

Tools you'll need:

-Dremel, drill, file, etc. Cutting the hole is tricky.
-Phillips head screwdriver and flathead screwdriver.

So this is twat you do:

-Swap out the air philters. This is the easiest part.
-Remove the stock snorkel and slip the 3" end of the 4>3" adapter over the airbox hole where the snorkel used to connect to. Tighten the adapter down.
-Slip one end of the Spectre bendy tube into the 4" side of the adapter. Tighten that down too.
-Navigate the tube past your clutch lines, brake lines, and other stuff. Here comes the tough part.
-Using a dremel, drill, file, and whatever jerry-rigging you can do, cut a hole in the firewall that fits above the clutch line. You'll see where I cut in the pictures. Note: Cover your engine bay with a towel to catch all the metal filings. Unlike the aftermarket Randall intake, you can't simply use a hole saw and be done with it. You're gonna spend some time fine-tuning this hole because it's a weird shape to cut.
-Finally, slip the 3" adapter inside the other end of the Spectre tube and fit it into the hole you cut. The adapter holds the tube in place, because fitting the Spectre tube into the hole is pretty much impossible. Also, one end of the silicone part bends to fit the odd-shaped hole while the other end attaches to the tube itself.

The intake is meow all assembled. However, you need to cut a small piece out of the hood bracing in order to fix any clearance issues. I cut out about 4" of bracing. I don't have any pics but it's pretty self explanatory.

Pictures:

Here's the 4>3" adapter attaching to the airbox (again, not sure of the sizes but you'll get the idea)

This is the hole I cut with the 3" sleeve in place

Finally, the path of the tube itself and how everything looks (excuse the dirty bay and sideways picture)
Derek
donated to the club!

Re: DIY Randall intake (fits with a/c, ps, cruise, etc)

postby Derek » 10/17/13 @ 09:43

This is exactly what I did, I'll only add a few suggestions. First, I located mine slightly lower in the firewall, gently bent the clutch line out of the way and I didn't have to touch the hood.

#2. Right after I did mine, we got a ton of rain and the next morning my dash and tail lights were out. Water had leaked between the hole and the tubing in my firewall and destroyed a relay. Not a big deal, just cost me a few dollars to replace it.

As a preventative measure I put this stuff around the hole in the firewall and it snugged up the snorkel quite nicely, stops water from getting through the hole and hides the not-so-nice-looking cuts I made in the firewall.

I also moved the relays forward from where I had let them lie after take out the bracket that holds them.
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
banned
still a n00b

postby banned » 10/17/13 @ 10:53

Do you have any pics? I haven't had any water trouble. Even ran a hose down the windshield and watched it drain away into the factory drain.
Derek
donated to the club!

postby Derek » 10/17/13 @ 13:30

The water came in after we got a significant amount of heavy range, may have been Sandy.

Here's a shot. It seems mine is positioned farther into the fender and a little lower. It doesn't touch the clutch master cylinder, although this picture makes it look like it does.

1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
banned
still a n00b

postby banned » 10/18/13 @ 14:09

Lucky you. Mine sits right on top of the damn thing lol.

return to “auto diy's/how to's”