How to make your Pep Boys mirrors less ghey

how to do shit yourself
banned
still a n00b

How to make your Pep Boys mirrors less ghey

postby banned » 12/03/13 @ 19:19

I posted this on the "other" site also for those who haven't realized the 'betterized' forum that is CPB just yet. :phillyb™:

The other day I was browsing around Pep Boys for a Haynes manual and came across those infamous CR special mirrors. They are $10 apiece but in the spirit of cheapness I noticed one was in the packaging all broken because the bases are plastic (some hood rat tried to jack it...this city is ghetto as hell). So I walked up the counter and said "ay yo dawg lemme get this broken mirror fo free" and he was all "oh shit dawg I seen't yo ride round town all the time here you go." So I got a non-broken one for the $10 and set out to go to work.

So I already had these ultra cheap ass $5 turn signal mirror LED things from eBay laying around. I utilized the fact that the mirror itself was cracked and pulled a piece off, leaving a hole. Then taped everything back together. Note the awesome poster.

So on the back of these things there are three screws to hold the mirror in place and not have it wobbling around like a wobbly wobbler. But you can take one out and tighten the others down and it holds it in place just fine. The hole leaves a good spot to run a wire. Check out my awesome shirt too.

Finally I notched a little groove in the plastic stem so the wire has somewhere to go. Lucky thing is the stem also has a place to run the wire all the way to the bottom so it stays hidden.

Soooooo that is how far I've gotten today. When I have time later on after finals and shit, the plan is to epoxy the stem back together. As for the mirror issue, I'm gonna grab a 4" convex mirror and make these bad boys a wide angle side view type thing. And the LEDs will be hidden under the convex mirror as well and will have no problem shining through, so they're only seen when lit.

SIX MONTHS LATER LOL

So I haven't gotten a chance to work on these for a while because the project hit a dead end once I realized they don't make convex 4" mirrors. I just kinda assumed they did.

But I was pleasantly surprised once I read Revlimiter's blog about his mirrors a few days ago that they do, however, make convex science lab mirrors in 100mm diameter size. That's about as close as it gets. He was nice enough to link me his source. In the spirit of being inexpensive, I talked the guy on eBay into sending me two for $15 shipped (as opposed to $20 shipped). A few days later, here they were.

It only took me an hour or so to whip up the driver side mirror, and I am extremely pleased.

I wound up taking out the broken mirror I was gonna use as a base, and instead took some black plastic and cut it to fit the rubber ring that held the original mirror. I then stuck the arrow on the inside of the mirror housing, and cut out the plastic so the arrow was visible.

Then I lined up where the arrow would shine, and I outlined it in sharpie on the backside of the mirror. Then I took an exacto knife and scratched off the reflective housing on the back of the mirror where the light would shine through.

Put it all together. I cut out a square of some translucent grey candy wrapper and put it on the back to make the arrow less noticeable when it's off.

It's alive!!

Driver's view with it off. The non-reflective arrow does not impair vision.

I have yet to wire it to the turn signal, but that's not a worry of mine. I like wiring things together...relieves stress or something. Anyways, I'll whip up the passenger side after finals week, wire them all together, and make a gif image for you guys!

Total cost of all this was $30 for two mirrors, two led arrows, and twoconvex mirrors from eBay.. Not too shabby at all.

Edit: I'm sorry about the sideways pictures. I will fix this when I have time to edit them all. I have finals to study for lol!
slyskiller
jailbait

Re: How to make your Pep Boys mirrors less ghey

postby slyskiller » 12/03/13 @ 21:16

Wow this is awesome. I've been thinking about getting these mirrors to add to the retro/vintage-ness of my Miata. How's the view on them? Are they as effective as OEM?
banned
still a n00b

postby banned » 12/03/13 @ 21:47

They're absolutely awful with the lenses that come with them lol. That's why I swapped out those lenses for the convex ones. meow they're way better than oem visibility.
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

postby Skinny » 12/04/13 @ 05:20

But you can get better looking vintage/bullet mirrors on ebay for like the same price
In 30 seconds you'll be dead and I'll be home in time for Corn Flakes.
banned
still a n00b

postby banned » 12/04/13 @ 09:16

Yeah I know. But these were bought on an impulse, and made in the spirit of cheapness/DIY. I like to make things myself, not just buy something and put it on ya know?Honestly, if I didn't spot the broken one, I probably wouldn't have said "I could probably get that for free and fix it."

return to “auto diy's/how to's”