Review: Flyin Miata Frame Rail

buy something cool? tell us about it
andy
donated to the club!

Review: Flyin Miata Frame Rail

postby andy » 10/22/13 @ 23:01

I ordered the flyin miata frame rail when they had a group buy so it was about $15 less than normal. I installed them and I will say that installation is a 2 person job. Someone needs to be under the car drilling a hole through the floor and the person on top needs to be able to attach a wrench to help tighten the frame rails to the car.

meow to the review. After I installed them the car did feel noticeably stiffer. They did not make the car handle better per say but they did decrease some slop in the suspension, and meow the suspension works as it should.

I will say the most noticeable difference I noticed was this one particular bump in the road I would drive on was sever enough that it would make the cd player momentarily pause for a second and then continue playing. With the installation of the frame rails that has stopped.

This is not necessarily for its intended purpose but the stainless steel frame rails make a phantastic place to jack the car from. I don't worry about bending the pinch welds on the side. i just jack the car from the middle (around where the side mirrors are) on the frame rails and lift a side at a time.
Sploinkin
//elite

Re: Review: Flyin Miata Frame Rail

postby Sploinkin » 10/23/13 @ 11:56

Ugh, I need to get mine on there. You have a 92 right, so no extra frame braces?
phillyb™ wrote:and we still listened. just proving once more that cpb is cooler than your gf
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/23/13 @ 11:59

I do have a 92. Apparently the 1.6 header is the problem that prevents the use of the butterfly. If you replace the header you can put on the butterfly brace.
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 10/23/13 @ 15:18

They're great for dragging over speed bumps too
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
Waffles
//elite

postby Waffles » 10/23/13 @ 16:13

How snug are they on the stop rails(aka how much ground clearance will I loose)?
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/23/13 @ 16:19

They are pretty damn snug. If you are scraping then you would have been scraping and destroying the stock rails.
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 10/25/13 @ 11:17

xbeatles4x wrote:They are pretty damn snug. If you are scraping then you would have been scraping and destroying the stock rails.

Not necessarily, the nut these use to hold those hard line brackets make you lose a few mm of ground clearance. There are times when going over a speed bump I feel 2 distinct scrapes from those nuts. Looking at it, those nuts are meow one with the studs, I'll have to cut them off if I ever want to remove them.
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.

return to “product reviews”