flat paint

washing, waxing, buffing, polishing, and all that good shit.
ecto_cooler
workin' it in

flat paint

postby ecto_cooler » 10/14/13 @ 15:18

wish i'd never painted my car flat olive drab back in 2007. maintenance has been such a bitch since almost day 1.

i took my whole car down to bare metal before 2 coats of self-etching primer. for the plastics, i sanded them and applied 2x coats of regular primer. laid down 3 - 4 coats of paint over 2 days according to best instructions i could find and the end result looked great for about a year. the paint held up with no clear (couldn't find flat clear at the time) being driven in every imaginable condition and parked outside in rain/sun/snow/wind.

slowly, the paint started to show wear. first on the plastics, the rear bumper lost layers at a time that blistered up and fell off. it was prepared and shot the same way as the hardtop and front bumper which held up a lot better. then the corners of the fenders and along the body seams slowly faded through the paint and primer to bare metal.

plus - bug guts, bird shits, tree sap, motor oil, human oil, sweat, drool, piss, semen are impossible to clean off. soap of choice was always dawn to deal with the oil that would always get soaked up into the paint. handprints were the worst, but if you ever spilled even a drop of oil or picked some up off of the road, you pretty much get used to staring at it until it "wears" off. drying after a wash is impossible to do perfectly, you always have water spots and streaks.

i get a second chance to paint this car. as it sits, somewhat of a cross between a p40 and a lolwut pear, its ugly. like, "life is bitch" car ugly. so my options are to try and repaint it to make it look as nice as possible with the current scheme - which is something that my friends encourage me to do any time i bring it up - or do something different. i've given a lot of thought to both avenues, and i think that the drawbacks of having an instantly recognizable and totally unique car vastly outweigh any benefits.

i inherited a cheap paint gun, so why not try something different? never sprayed anything before, but i am looking forward to trying it out. i'm no stranger to prep though, and 90% of a decent paint job is everything BUT spraying. who else paints their own stuff? besides stoly's marks?
minto wrote:We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana.
iRoadster
i'm getting there...

Re: flat paint

postby iRoadster » 10/15/13 @ 18:57

I've helped prep and paint a couple cars in the past, but I'd never call myself an automotive painter. Kinda wished I knew what I was doing as I do like painting.
I've really only bothered trying spray cans on the Miata. I've used some Rustoleum semi gloss black on my rocker panels twice meow. I think it totally matches the black Mazda used down there. Also sprayed my oem wheels the same color so I didn't have to constantly wash them.
I did use the flat white when I sprayed the interior of my car last summer in an attempt to keep the glare down. It looked alright but didn't really reduce the glare being that it was still white paint.

Totally agree that flat paint sucks to try and keep clean.
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/15/13 @ 18:59

I am officially never painting anything a flat color ever. Thank you.
01 SE: N/A Racecar Build
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/15/13 @ 19:00

phuck it
don't get caught
vejatabul
//elite

postby vejatabul » 10/15/13 @ 19:10

This is why I wrapped my car. No fading.
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/15/13 @ 19:35

Do they have flat wrap?
vejatabul
//elite

postby vejatabul » 10/15/13 @ 22:56

My car has been matte black for 6 years, so, yes. They do.
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/15/13 @ 23:03

I think you want matte not flat. And, yes, there are some great options in vinyl. Also great options in plastidip which is equally as removable and possibly as durable.
I used to have a Miata. Before that, I had a Miata.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/16/13 @ 05:13

I've been strongly considering plastidipping my car since my paint is flaking off. Vinyl looks nice but my AK GT skirts hang kinda low the vinyl kept tearing and peeling off of them. Plastidip should be pretty easy to patch up, I'm just worried about keeping it clean. It'll also let me see if olive drab is something I'd want to keep for a while.
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/16/13 @ 06:56

Plastidip is easy to clean....wipe it down with some armorall
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/16/13 @ 11:16

I've never heard of using armorall. I think the guys over at dipyourcar.com just use water.
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/16/13 @ 11:46

use armorall.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/17/13 @ 16:52

I had always heard that the stuff is a lint magnet. If it's easy to clean I'm definitely going that route.
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/17/13 @ 17:49

Watch all the videos on their youtube channel. Bear in mind, they're trying to sell you stuff so they aren't going to tell you the major downsides. But the guy seems pretty straight up and honest. If you hate it, spend an hour peeling it off.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/17/13 @ 18:47

There's actually a guy down the street from me who sprays the stuff. The cars that I've seen him do look phantastic and I've seen his car 8 different colors this year haha. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the cars months later to see how it holds up. It's cheap enough that I wont mind peeling it off If I hate it, plus it's waaaaay easier than vinyl to "install" lol.
Lolmx5
still a n00b

postby Lolmx5 » 10/17/13 @ 20:32

Plastidip kinda sucks. White is impossible to clean. They say no need to mask. Still mask. Or you will suffer, as I am.
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/18/13 @ 14:11

Lolmx5 wrote:Plastidip kinda sucks. White is impossible to clean. They say no need to mask. Still mask. Or you will suffer, as I am.

There are certain things they say not to mask. Like badges and such. There is definitely still masking to be done.

Check out herblenny on Instagram. He's dipped one of his NB's twice and both times it came out excellent. And he makes it look easy. About 6 hours start to finish the second time he dipped it.

http://instagram.com/herblenny

He just did a new color this week. Custom mix:

mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/18/13 @ 14:13

Masked:

Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/18/13 @ 14:28

Daaaamn. That aluminum mix looks incredible. I wonder what colors he mixed together to get that color, it looks a lot better than the regular aluminum color. I'd guess a little bit of gunmetal and maybe some pearlizer?
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 10/18/13 @ 14:49

Not sure. Last I msg'ed him he was thinking about trying the new True Metalic Anthracite color. But this is obviously a lot lighter than that. Maybe he mixed it in white. It definitely has a metalic look to it.

I want to dip my GS300 in Anthracite with one coat of glossifier. Need to get some PDR done first, tho.
ecto_cooler
workin' it in

postby ecto_cooler » 10/18/13 @ 15:19

we played with plastidip in the formula mazda shop. maybe it's because our cars were obsessively cleaned/waxed after every track day and maintained with mcguires between sessions, but the plastidip we did on the wing (aluminum, primer, paint, clear) peeled right off when we wanted it to.

if i were going to redo my car matte/flat, it would be that. because i just cant be bothered to give a shit about it at all.

i went to tx2k10 and saw a lot of "shop" and "demo" cars that came in flat/matte coatings. the drive to houston from wherever wasn't nice to them. every bug strike ended up creating a wet blotch, it picked up lint from even chamois cloths when you tried to wipe them, showed fingerprints etc... and these were pro-level jobs.

im going to say fuck that finish. if i keep the shark mouth, i'm going to plastidip the plastics and just leave the metal bare. either clear over it or keep it a brushed finish so it doesn't rust.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/18/13 @ 15:36

As long as its sprayed on thick enough it seems to come off without any major issues. My neighbor usually uses a pressure washer (on low pressure of course) to take the dip off his car and he seems to get it done pretty quick. He peeled the dip off the fender and it came off in one solid piece.

The bare metal would be pretty interesting as long as you do a better job than this guy :confused:. I do kinda like the plastics, hardtop, and wheels being black while the rest is stripped. A set of APR mirrors would look pretty tits too.
ecto_cooler
workin' it in

postby ecto_cooler » 10/18/13 @ 17:11

my car was bare metal before i painted it, took me a month and a shit ton of sanding pads to get there. i experimented with different grits to get the desired finish, not even taking it to a polish, but the brushed look didnt show obvious marks or swirls and looked even overall.

return to “auto detailing”