Any Runners in This Joint?

nobody likes hockey, but you can talk about guns and fitness here...
Bryan
contributor!

Any Runners in This Joint?

postby Bryan » 10/10/13 @ 23:39

Figured I might as well put it out there.

Tell me your story--shoes you like, best run you ever had, when you'd like to reenact the scene from Chariots of Fire.
-Bryan
Nicktorius™
//elite

Re: Any Runners in This Joint?

postby Nicktorius™ » 10/11/13 @ 00:37

I used to run quite a bit when I was in the Army. I got out 2 years ago.
At the time I was running 2 miles in 12 minutes and was steadily getting faster.
Right before I got out I had modified brostrom procedure (for stabilization) surgeries on each of my ankles.

meow I don't run.
I'll poop in your butt hole and then you will poop it back into my butt and we will keep doing it back and forth with the same poop. Forever.
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 10/11/13 @ 00:43

That's a bummer. Are you able to exercise at all?
-Bryan
Nicktorius™
//elite

postby Nicktorius™ » 10/11/13 @ 01:03

I'll occasionally hit the treadmill but nothing like before. I'm not completely broken but enough that running is no longer enjoyable for me.

I do workout at my local gym doing mostly squats, deadlifts, and more bar stuff. I have considered swimming as an aerobic substitute.
I'll poop in your butt hole and then you will poop it back into my butt and we will keep doing it back and forth with the same poop. Forever.
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 10/11/13 @ 01:05

Nicktorius™™ wrote:I'll occasionally hit the treadmill but nothing like before. I'm not completely broken but enough that running is no longer enjoyable for me.

I do workout at my local gym doing mostly squats, deadlifts, and more bar stuff. I have considered swimming as an aerobic substitute.

Hey...as long as you're doing something!
-Bryan
Nicktorius™
//elite

postby Nicktorius™ » 10/11/13 @ 01:08

Yep, gotta lose this extra fat I've acquired along the way from lack of cardio.

Even after my surgeries I ended up doing Tough Mudder in Seattle and a few 5k's, 8k's, and even a 12k (my longest organized run).
99blkx
workin' it in

postby 99blkx » 10/11/13 @ 02:17

I've always hated running but recently made some efforts to make it happen. Generally just 9-10 minute miles but usually at least 2.

I do play basketball a few times a week for cardio. That's what we call "running" here. :)
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 10/11/13 @ 07:40

Nicktorius™™ wrote:Even after my surgeries I ended up doing Tough Mudder in Seattle and a few 5k's, 8k's, and even a 12k (my longest organized run).
I signed up to do a Tough Mudder with some friends last October, but strained a quad so badly 3 weeks before the race that I thought I was going to need knee surgery, so I never actually ran it :(
99blkx wrote:I've always hated running but recently made some efforts to make it happen. Generally just 9-10 minute miles but usually at least 2.

I do play basketball a few times a week for cardio. That's what we call "running" here. :)
Nothing wrong with either of those things. My easy pace is still in the low to mid 9min/mi range. Back in high school, though, it was well under 8min/mi because I was freaking awesome (ok, just good for the time...my times meow would be pretty slow in comparison).
-Bryan
Goldielocks
still a n00b

postby Goldielocks » 10/28/13 @ 18:28

I'm new to the whole running to run thing. I grew up playing sports. played baseball, soccer and basketball in high school. Never ran track or anything just running. BUT I'm a 5th year senior in college meow and all the people I've spent the past 4 years playing sports with are pretty much gone so I haven't played really any sports since last spring.
My little brother just joined his high school cross country team and is apparently the second fastest guy there. So I decided I needed to start running and timing myself like a month ago. I mean I can't just take my little brother being better than me at something laying down, right? Man it was rough... I never noticed how many hills are around here.
My last run was 3 miles in 19:32. Don't know if that is good or bad or what. Just know I was tired ha. Still like freaking 2 minutes slower than my little brother.
So what shoes are good? Does it make that big of a difference?
Flyin' 92
//elite

postby Flyin' 92 » 10/28/13 @ 18:53

I have to run up and down steep ass hills (most of it concrete) for PT 3x a week. I'm surprised my feet and knees have lasted this long. I wish we could listen to music during PT runs, but the big wigs deemed it unsafe to run with headphones.

As far as shoes go, I used to run in Brooks Glycerin, but recently made the switch to Nike Free Runs. It's taking me a while to get used to them, but so far so good. They're a lot lighter than the Brooks, which also ads to the adjustment.

Right meow I'm working toward getting my 1.5mile time down to 11 minutes. Right meow I'm in the high 11s. Knocking 30-40 seconds off would be awesome. I'd love to get back down to my PR of sub-10 minute 1.5mile, but that's going to take a lot of work.

Sploinkin wrote:I might be able to handle that little amount of poke. Especially with a little bit of stretch.

God I can't believe I said that.
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 10/31/13 @ 20:58

As far as shoes, I suggest doing what works for you. I've slowly gone more and more "minimal" with my shoes, and I think I'm going to have to work my way back up as far as cushioning, as I think I found the bottom end of cushioning that I can be without.
-Bryan
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 11/01/13 @ 03:51

Ran track in highschool, 100m and 200m, low 11s and 22s respectively. Had last period free everyday, used to run a ~6min mile everyday smoking a cig the first half, then hit weights, shower, and meet up with friends. Got bad knees meow, so prefer to swim. Got a 34" waist during the winter months, and 32" during the warm months.
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
Goldielocks
still a n00b

postby Goldielocks » 11/01/13 @ 18:25

Is running barefoot a bad idea? Does anybody do that?
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/02/13 @ 18:57

Goldielocks wrote:Is running barefoot a bad idea? Does anybody do that?

I don't think it is, personally. There are folks who would disagree. I've tried it, but there's no way I could ever hope to make it work.
-Bryan
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 11/03/13 @ 02:37

There's the school of thought that running with well supported sneakers weakens muscles around your ankles, while running bare foot strengthens them.

My 2 cents, when you're in your late 20s, your body's ability to bounce back from injury is all downhill. All it takes is one injury, to become a nagging discomfort for months at a time.
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/03/13 @ 15:08

bigx5murf wrote:

There's the school of thought that running with well supported sneakers weakens muscles around your ankles, while running bare foot strengthens them.

My 2 cents, when you're in your late 20s, your body's ability to bounce back from injury is all downhill. All it takes is one injury, to become a nagging discomfort for months at a time.

Having tried more minimal shoes all the way down to nearly barefoot, there's definitely something to the idea of working towards shoes without a raised heel. That said, I'm still not sold on the idea of minimal cushioning.
-Bryan
Goldielocks
still a n00b

postby Goldielocks » 11/03/13 @ 23:55

Good info. Thanks. I only have one pair of running shoes and I think the soles are pretty thick so I might try the barefoot running thing. Probably going to have to wait for warmer weather though.
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/04/13 @ 00:03

Goldielocks wrote:Good info. Thanks. I only have one pair of running shoes and I think the soles are pretty thick so I might try the barefoot running thing. Probably going to have to wait for warmer weather though.

Personally, I wouldn't.
-Bryan
Goldielocks
still a n00b

postby Goldielocks » 11/04/13 @ 00:25

Alright, maybe I won't if thats a bad decision based on the shoes I wear meow. Didn't seem like a bad idea from what you guys were saying. Just a curious noob.
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/04/13 @ 01:40

Goldielocks wrote:Alright, maybe I won't if thats a bad decision based on the shoes I wear meow. Didn't seem like a bad idea from what you guys were saying. Just a curious noob.

What do you run in right meow, again?
-Bryan
Goldielocks
still a n00b

postby Goldielocks » 11/04/13 @ 11:03

Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/04/13 @ 11:20

If you're happy with them, I say keep them.
-Bryan
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/11/13 @ 18:02

-Bryan
99blkx
workin' it in

postby 99blkx » 11/22/13 @ 04:25

I got lazy for a bit but ran again tonight. I'm going to have to get back into it. I'm applying for a job with a police department and part of the physical test is 1.5 miles under 13 minutes. I ran 1.5 in 15 today after an hour and a half of basketball.

I wish I could play a game of ball for the test instead......
Bryan
contributor!

postby Bryan » 11/22/13 @ 11:45

99blkx wrote:I got lazy for a bit but ran again tonight. I'm going to have to get back into it. I'm applying for a job with a police department and part of the physical test is 1.5 miles under 13 minutes. I ran 1.5 in 15 today after an hour and a half of basketball.

I wish I could play a game of ball for the test instead......

You just need to keep at it. It's totally doable!
-Bryan
99blkx
workin' it in

postby 99blkx » 11/25/13 @ 22:22

Bryan wrote:You just need to keep at it. It's totally doable!

Thanks man. I know it's easily within reach... I just really hate running. I hate posting in a thread about running. I hate that they call moving water "running" and meow that I think about it I'm starting to hate the move Cool Runnings.

I think I made my point...

return to “sports, fitness, and recreation”