Firearms thread

nobody likes hockey, but you can talk about guns and fitness here...
user avatar
Jez
donated to the club!
posts: 36
joined: 10/13/13 @ 03:26

Firearms thread

postby Jez » 10/16/13 @ 04:25

image

Bring it
user avatar
Trentin
workin' it in
posts: 95
joined: 10/09/13 @ 19:58
location: Wichita, KS

Re: Firearms thread

postby Trentin » 10/16/13 @ 08:14

image
white 93, sadly still bone stock.

owner of @MiataLife Instaphag page.
user avatar
Derek
donated to the club!
posts: 1001
joined: 10/02/13 @ 09:58
location: Lanc-Gnar

Re: Firearms thread

postby Derek » 10/16/13 @ 10:48

image
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
user avatar
theAngryMarmot
//elite
posts: 452
joined: 10/15/13 @ 20:16

Re: Firearms thread

postby theAngryMarmot » 10/16/13 @ 11:05

image
IMAG0183 by PaulGT2164, on Flickr

Here is my cat and his firearm of choice. For some reason whenever I get the DE out of the safe, he must lay his paws on it.
user avatar
ecto_cooler
workin' it in
posts: 85
joined: 10/10/13 @ 17:26

Re: Firearms thread

postby ecto_cooler » 10/16/13 @ 12:21

i have an undisclosed number of firearms of various types that may or may not be kept in my domicile.
minto wrote:We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 12:26

These are only a few from my collection.

From right to left, My PSL in manly 7.62x54R, War trophy Type 38 Arisaka carbine complete numbers matching with imperial crest, 1917 Stevens 520 12 gauge, and a 1944 Izzy Nagant revolver.
image

1973 Romy AK, fairly modified. I have put about, oh, 25,000 rounds through it over the years.
image

Another of the PSL, before I removed the factory furniture in a bid to drop some weight.
image

Glock 29, in 10mm, my current carry gun.
image

The PSL as it currently sits. It will get a internal stock adapter and an ACE skeleton stock like my AK has soon.
image

Bulgy Makarov, duracoated, as are most of my guns that see use.
image

Saiga 12 that I built a few years back.
image

The Arisaka being cleaned after sitting in a furnace room since 1945, when it was brought back as a war trophy that my girlfriend's grandfather took off of a dead Japanese. It sat uncovered, never cleaned nor fired since it was in Japanese hands. It is in superb condition.
image
user avatar
zoona
//elite
posts: 32
joined: 10/02/13 @ 11:34
location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Firearms thread

postby zoona » 10/16/13 @ 12:40

Wow.

I know the US of A is very different in many ways to the UK - but we just don't do the whole gun thing over here the same way you do - or more correctly the people who do it the same way are very much in the minority and in a minority that is considered be be a bit fucking weird.

I am not trolling, I an genuinely interested - Why?

What is it about having things that are designed to kill shit makes them so fascinating? I have't quite worked out why I don't like it yet. And I am a hypocrite as I like clay pigeon shooting (and would probably not have an issue in shooting living things) but when you start keeping weapons that have been designed to kill people, efficiently - that is a different thing all together. Or is it? Am I just talking shit? How much of it is some power trip, how much is hunting, how much a real fear of some sort of need to rise up and defend your rights (I mean against an armed force rather than some crack head) and how much is personal protection?

If this is the wrong place, ignore me. But it really does interest me.
S-Ltd import, with some extra stuff, and more extra stuff lying around in my garage waiting for me.
user avatar
theAngryMarmot
//elite
posts: 452
joined: 10/15/13 @ 20:16

Re: Firearms thread

postby theAngryMarmot » 10/16/13 @ 12:52

zoona wrote:Wow.

I know the US of A is very different in many ways to the UK - but we just don't do the whole gun thing over here the same way you do - or more correctly the people who do it the same way are very much in the minority and in a minority that is considered be be a bit fucking weird.

I am not trolling, I an genuinely interested - Why?

What is it about having things that are designed to kill shit makes them so fascinating? I have't quite worked out why I don't like it yet. And I am a hypocrite as I like clay pigeon shooting (and would probably not have an issue in shooting living things) but when you start keeping weapons that have been designed to kill people, efficiently - that is a different thing all together. Or is it? Am I just talking shit? How much of it is some power trip, how much is hunting, how much a real fear of some sort of need to rise up and defend your rights (I mean against an armed force rather than some crack head) and how much is personal protection?

If this is the wrong place, ignore me. But it really does interest me.


There are many reason why, so I will make an attempt to my personal reasons.

For me, it has nothing to do with that SOME firearms are made to kill people. That is a huge misconception. Not all guns are made to kill. That is like saying every single hammer is made to drive in nails.

A tool's purpose is denoted by its user's intentions.

The "power trip" factor is not that common to be honest, coming from the number one state in the US for gun rights, and being a member of several shooting groups - the media stereotypical power tripping/conspiracy theorist/anti-government gun weirdo makes up a tiny percentage of our numbers.

I feel most gun enthusiasts are a bit like me.

I used to not carry everyday, just when I was going somewhere I thought was a "bad area." I mean honestly, no one who carries ever thinks they will someday really have to rely on it.

I had to uncover and "brandish" my firearm to keep my wife and I from getting mugged/worse from a group of four hoodlums leaving the hospital after visiting a friend. The "security" guard on duty seen what was happening and ran inside to hide. If I had not made the decision to carry that night - who know what could have happened. Every since then I do not leave the house without my firearm. I will not be helpless to defend my family in the face of an ever-degrading society.

The world is not what it used to be. Financial pressure, prescription drug use, controlled substance abuse, etc - has all made the world more hostile. The ability to defend one's self in the face of such danger is something every single human being should have the ability to do.

As far as vintage war rifles - I have a few. I don't find their purpose of killing engaging - I find the history of the era to be of interest. I have a 1915 SMLE Enfield that is my favorite for instance, I don't think about who it killed in battle. When I go to the range and fire it - I think of why (big picture) it was made. I wonder who carried it, and imagine how important it was to them. I think of trench warfare and the struggles of the men/women who fought for something they believed in. It is a part of history, and it is an important one. We can't turn out backs on history - no matter what it is - or we will be doomed to make the same mistakes twice. I also participate in several vintage war rifle competitions per year.

Nostalgia plays a huge part in my love of firearms as well, the ONLY good memories of my childhood are ones that I have when I was out shooting with my relatives. I started when I was six. I was taught proper gum safety and let out into the wilderness with whatever firearm I received for Christmas, or birthday.

I attribute my patience, attention to detail, and methodological nature to growing up shooting. Shooting teaches many, many valuable skills and traits that most people don't get these days.

The wife and I go to the range to cool off, distress, and relax.

Some people drink, some smoke, some do drugs, some collect stamps, some play games. We shoot - that is our "away" time.

Also, firearms are great feats of engineering and sometimes craftsmanship. I have several nice "higher end" guns and the workmanship is amazing. Truly pieces of art some are. As someone who loves all things mechanical, I find the differences in operations and functions to be fascinating.
last edited by theAngryMarmot on 10/16/13 @ 13:04, edited 2 times in total.
user avatar
Derek
donated to the club!
posts: 1001
joined: 10/02/13 @ 09:58
location: Lanc-Gnar

Re: Firearms thread

postby Derek » 10/16/13 @ 13:00

vejatabul, I'm quite jealous of that Arisaka. I have a Swedish Mauser that has proper markings and was most likely sold as surplus but that Jap rifle is awesome.
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 13:01

zoona wrote:Wow.

I know the US of A is very different in many ways to the UK - but we just don't do the whole gun thing over here the same way you do - or more correctly the people who do it the same way are very much in the minority and in a minority that is considered be be a bit fucking weird.

I am not trolling, I an genuinely interested - Why?

What is it about having things that are designed to kill shit makes them so fascinating? I have't quite worked out why I don't like it yet. And I am a hypocrite as I like clay pigeon shooting (and would probably not have an issue in shooting living things) but when you start keeping weapons that have been designed to kill people, efficiently - that is a different thing all together. Or is it? Am I just talking shit? How much of it is some power trip, how much is hunting, how much a real fear of some sort of need to rise up and defend your rights (I mean against an armed force rather than some crack head) and how much is personal protection?

If this is the wrong place, ignore me. But it really does interest me.

What is it about having a weapon that makes you think it is about wanting to have something that is designed to kill?
If you have not worked out why you don't like it, then perhaps you are not quite qualified to not like it, as in, your approach is not reasonable nor logical. You have an emotional attachment to your bias. Since you can not be bother to figure out why you don't like it, then I would assume that you can not be bothered to figure out why others would like it.

There is a difference in culture, entirely. I personally see a gun as an inanimate object, and wielding it is no more power inducing than wielding any other tool, whether it be a tool most commonly used for destruction that is efficient, or one that is commonly used for other tasks, that is far less efficient, such as a knife, or a vehicle.

The mentality is a simple one. Our safety and our livelihood is our own responsibility, and we alone, as individuals are the only ones that are indebted to protect, defend, feed, and shelter ourselves. Police, as established by our court system, are NOT our protectors, and they are NOT duty bound to protect us from harm. If your home is broken into, and your life placed in danger, the police will not arrive and burst through the door, guns a blazing, and rescue like some sort of super hero. No. They do not want to be killed.

So, the duty is our own to protect ourselves, and, in defense of weapons that are made to kill, the very BEST weapon to protect yourself from another human is a gun that is the most efficient human killing weapon that you can find.

I think some of the issue that you may have is the projection upon us that we are waiting by our guns, hoping someone will come along for us to kill. No sensible person is interested in that. I carry a gun on my person every single minute of the day, and I hope that I never have to use it on anyone, as an humane person would hope.

A gun is a tool, much like a shovel. Owning a shovel does not mean that you are looking for a chance to bury someone with it, nor does owning a gun mean that you are looking to kill or maim. Some people hunt, some people collect, others might be a bit crazy and think the apocalypse is drawing near. Plenty are armed for protection.

I can liken it to a car. Someone wants, say, a Porsche 935. Why? What will they do with that tremendous racing machine? Maybe they will enter into vintage races. Maybe it is a collectors item to them. Maybe they think that someday they will need to use it to get somewhere extraordinarily fast. Maybe, just maybe, they want a 935 for the power. But would such a person be considered crazy for wanting such a thing? Only to the ones that see little value in an aging racing car.

I think the fascination with the intended purpose of firearms and their ability to kill, is mostly a fascination that is held by people that are not armed.
user avatar
theAngryMarmot
//elite
posts: 452
joined: 10/15/13 @ 20:16

Re: Firearms thread

postby theAngryMarmot » 10/16/13 @ 13:06

image
DSC_0101 by PaulGT2164, on Flickr

My wife and father-in-law enjoying some bonding time at the range. My wife is a science teacher/tree-hugging hipping who finds shooting gives her more patience, and relives the stress of dealing with people who can't properly raise children's children.

image
9592075067_2cc4e6b1bb_o by PaulGT2164, on Flickr

Ultimate relaxation/de-stress. A nice semi-rainy day and a bunch of ammo to go through.
last edited by theAngryMarmot on 10/16/13 @ 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 13:09

Nate shooting the Arisaka, for the first time since 1945.

image
user avatar
Derek
donated to the club!
posts: 1001
joined: 10/02/13 @ 09:58
location: Lanc-Gnar

Re: Firearms thread

postby Derek » 10/16/13 @ 13:13

zoona wrote:Wow.

I know the US of A is very different in many ways to the UK - but we just don't do the whole gun thing over here the same way you do - or more correctly the people who do it the same way are very much in the minority and in a minority that is considered be be a bit fucking weird.

I am not trolling, I an genuinely interested - Why?

What is it about having things that are designed to kill shit makes them so fascinating? I have't quite worked out why I don't like it yet. And I am a hypocrite as I like clay pigeon shooting (and would probably not have an issue in shooting living things) but when you start keeping weapons that have been designed to kill people, efficiently - that is a different thing all together. Or is it? Am I just talking shit? How much of it is some power trip, how much is hunting, how much a real fear of some sort of need to rise up and defend your rights (I mean against an armed force rather than some crack head) and how much is personal protection?

If this is the wrong place, ignore me. But it really does interest me.


My Brit relatives all want to go shooting when they come over to visit. :lol:

All guns are designed to kill, they were invented as a weapon of war and have evolved accordingly. I enjoy target shooting, clays and hunting as well as have firearms for personal protection. I don't have visions of Rambo in my head, it just means if I'm holed up in my bedroom and the person on the other side is determined enough to get through that locked door, I have the means to protect myself.

Those Americans you see talking about bringing down the tyrannical government and they're firearms being the only way to protect themselves against Obama and his plans to turn the U.S. into a socialist state are really just the fridge of the hobby. Like with any organization, hobby, etc. there are always the extremists and those are the ones who make the news. There are many, many more gun people who are moderate people with that interest. I've actually spent significantly less time on the otherwise awesome PA gun forum because it has evolved into...

image

About the only hard-line conservative thing you'll hear me say is, I'm glad we have the 2A in our Constitution, it has enabled us to retain our right.
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 13:28

Derek wrote:vejatabul, I'm quite jealous of that Arisaka. I have a Swedish Mauser that has proper markings and was most likely sold as surplus but that Jap rifle is awesome.

The Nagant too, is surplus.
I also have a Polish P64, an Izzy Mosin-Nagant 91/30, and of couorse the PSL, the AK, and Makarov previously mentioned. I have a pretty serious interest in old shotguns too.

The Arisaka was a great gun to get, as my own grandfather, who was 101st Airborne in the D-Day invasion, had all of his war medals and items horded by his late wife's crack head son, and we have no idea what became of any of it.

My girlfriend's family mirrors my own. Her family came over from northern Italy in the mid 1920's, her grandfather entered the service as a naturally born Italian citizen in the 1940's, and passed away in the mid 90's, just as mine had done.
user avatar
Derek
donated to the club!
posts: 1001
joined: 10/02/13 @ 09:58
location: Lanc-Gnar

Re: Firearms thread

postby Derek » 10/16/13 @ 14:09

The Arisaka was a great gun to get, as my own grandfather, who was 101st Airborne in the D-Day invasion, had all of his war medals and items horded by his late wife's crack head son, and we have no idea what became of any of it.


That makes me so unbelievably mad. Those kinds of things can't be obtained again, they really need to go to someone who will appreciate them.

So he says, my uncle who was in Desert Storm had a Soviet AK disassembled and hidden in his baggage to go home when his conscience got the better of him and he gave it up during their "amnesty period." That also would have been a nice thing to have kept.

I also have a Springfield 1911 of no historical significance other than it's an old-school parkerized 1911. That is probably my favorite, none of my modern polymer framed guns are even remotely close to as enjoyable as that hunk of metal.

I also had the chance to get my hands on a Korean War era M1 Carbine from an estate clear-out a buddy was doing. When I asked him to front me the $100 for the gun and I'd pay him on Monday when he came back to school, he suddenly wanted it for himself. :sad:
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 14:14

You certainly would not want a legit AK without paper work. That is one hell of a felony. I know someone that has two of them, that he sent back to the States while in 'Nam, along with thousands of rounds of ammo. Completely undocumented, and enough to get him tossed into prison for possibly the rest of his natural life. You don't mess with class 3 weapons stuff, the Federal Government does not take kindly to people tromping on their 80 year old laws.
user avatar
Bryan
contributor!
posts: 893
joined: 10/10/13 @ 23:00
location: The Death Star
contact:

Re: Firearms thread

postby Bryan » 10/16/13 @ 14:22

Vej...cool to see some history on that Arisaka.
-Bryan
user avatar
Derek
donated to the club!
posts: 1001
joined: 10/02/13 @ 09:58
location: Lanc-Gnar

Re: Firearms thread

postby Derek » 10/16/13 @ 14:25

Historical firearms and history of firearms are half the reason I'm as into them as I am. The ones with real historical background are out of my price range but I'm fine with less valuable ones, they all shoot the same.
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
user avatar
zoona
//elite
posts: 32
joined: 10/02/13 @ 11:34
location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Firearms thread

postby zoona » 10/16/13 @ 14:44

Thanks @theAngryMarmot, @vejatabul and @Derek for the sensible responses. So, I think for you it boils down to sport/fun and defence.

I think the biggest difference for us is that in the UK, there is not the need to carry a weapon for defence, as there are fewer issues. I am a very run-of-the-mill middle class, liberal person who lives in a very boring middle class area where I don't fear for my safety.

@vejatabul You are right, I am not qualified - I am trying to get qualified... I was the one who pointed out the lack of logic, or consistency in my thoughts - so I agree on that too.
I do take issue with the shovel/car argument. A shovel's primary purpose is not to kill. A car's primary purpose is not to kill - however, I am not saying that by owning/carrying a gun you are intending to kill all the time.
Your 935 argument is valid - just a different subject, that I am much more interested in. I agree, I have cars that can go way faster than necessary, and I try to justify that by saying it is safer blah blah - bottom line is I like to go fast and I don't really have any justification for it...

Anyway, thanks for the responses. And thank you for not replying with with "Fuck you, you limey pussy"...
S-Ltd import, with some extra stuff, and more extra stuff lying around in my garage waiting for me.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 15:11

There are shovels made for digging, and there are shovels made to be used as a weapon to kill. There are guns made for nothing more than shooting targets, and there are guns made for use as a weapon to kill.

There is a need for defense where you are, but the need is so far out of your safe zone that you don't feel it to be a need. If one in every 100,000 were in danger, then one in 100,000 needed to defend themselves. Citing the scarcity of crime as a reason to not need defense is not far from citing the scarcity of crime as a reason to not have laws.

"Safety" is a relative feeling, and not objective.
user avatar
UrbanFuturistic
donated to the club!
posts: 111
joined: 10/08/13 @ 18:13

Re: Firearms thread

postby UrbanFuturistic » 10/16/13 @ 15:32

I carry. Not because I feel terribly at risk. The part of Florida I live in is pretty tame. I do it mostly because I work as a pizza delivery driver. Im not going to get taken over what little of my bosses money I am carrying. I also carry because I came from the suburbs of Chicago. I see what happens. The same gas stations robbed and clerks killed over and over for $40 worth of cigarettes and a candy bar.

But its more than that. I collect. Some for historical significance. Some because they look cool. Some because I just wanted to know what it was like to fire said firearm. Some because they fit that much nicer in my trousers.

But as some of the others have said, intent is in the user, not the tool. Sure, at its base, the firearm was designed to kill people. But they are, and have become so much more than that.

I like the fact that youre challenging your position and your thinking. Asking questions and finding out others thoughts and ideas may not change your position, but you can gain an understanding and insight. You can also gain respect for others in this fashion. Because disagreement doesnt always mean disrespect. But some people cant handle other peoples position on something, or the fact that what they believe isnt always the bottom line. Some people allow others to lead them to opinions rather than finding their own. And believe me, Im sure that some people have very good reasons for not liking guns.

Gun ownership, its not for everyone. But with a little patience and understanding everyone can live with guns.
user avatar
Nicktorius™
//elite
posts: 240
joined: 10/01/13 @ 17:43
location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Firearms thread

postby Nicktorius™ » 10/16/13 @ 15:34

I have a Glock 30 SF with night sights sitting in my nightstand for home defense.

I don't carry but I'm not opposed to it. WA is an open-carry state.
I'll poop in your butt hole and then you will poop it back into my butt and we will keep doing it back and forth with the same poop. Forever.
user avatar
ecto_cooler
workin' it in
posts: 85
joined: 10/10/13 @ 17:26

Re: Firearms thread

postby ecto_cooler » 10/16/13 @ 16:39

@zoona, i saw video of a person being killed on your (generalizing a great deal on the geographical side of things and i realize so, apologies) public streets with not a single other soul stepping in to help. the story goes that a pair of islamic extremists wanted to make a bold statement, hit an off-duty soldier with their car, then stabbed and beheaded him. witnesses report that it took over 20 minutes for armed police to respond and brought an end to the ordeal by shooting the perps involved (!).

you might have also heard about the hostage situation at the mall in Kenya recently in which victims were mutilated, tortured and murdered at the hands of a group with Al-Queda links. apparently 68 people were killed and over a hundred others were injured to some extent before authorities were able to gain control.

America is not the most violent nation in the world. far from it. what has been said about our personal responsibility to protect ourselves and those around us is an inherent truth to our existence. you say you don't need to carry a gun, and i have no doubt you will continue to think that way until the day you're confronted with a situation that changes your perception. i hope that doesn't happen, but it will only take that one time to convince you otherwise. i'm not willing to risk my own life because someone had a bad day at work or their parents didn't do a good enough job raising them or whatever the reason may be. add my family and friends into that equation and there's really nothing worth debating.

even if our police (yours and mine) were willing to step in and risk their own lives to save ours, we have to wait 10-20 minutes for them to arrive on the scene under circumstances where 10-20 seconds make the difference between life and death. personally, i've had 2 instances where having a gun saved my skin. you admittedly haven't, but like i said - it only takes one time. you really want to play the odds?
minto wrote:We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana.
user avatar
Bryan
contributor!
posts: 893
joined: 10/10/13 @ 23:00
location: The Death Star
contact:

Re: Firearms thread

postby Bryan » 10/16/13 @ 16:42

ecto_cooler wrote:even if our police (yours and mine) were willing to step in and risk their own lives to save ours, we have to wait 10-20 minutes for them to arrive on the scene under circumstances where 10-20 seconds make the difference between life and death. personally, i've had 2 instances where having a gun saved my skin. you admittedly haven't, but like i said - it only takes one time. you really want to play the odds?

I do, but that is simply because I don't want to carry a gun and not because I don't want others to be able to.
-Bryan
user avatar
ecto_cooler
workin' it in
posts: 85
joined: 10/10/13 @ 17:26

Re: Firearms thread

postby ecto_cooler » 10/16/13 @ 17:09

so you think any amount of legislating is going to stop bad people from doing bad things with guns? if every gun simply ceased to exist, they'd be doing it with knives. take those away, you have rocks, ropes, chains, pencils, sporks, dildos etc...

it's not like you can die any deader by being shot than you can by getting hit by a car or smacked upside the head with a brick.

i get where you're coming from, but the argument is simply invalid because it doesn't take the reality that guns exist and will be available to criminals and prospective criminals regardless of any law or level of enforcement. even if you manage to dumb the situation down for the sake of argument and say that "illegal guns" (a total misnomer and misrepresentation in every statistic used to back up the definition) were made unavailable to john q. public, doesn't change the fact that there will still be ways to get them for people who really want to find them - good or bad.

the anti-gun laws are working out really well in Chicago, NYC and D.C. right meow...

i respect Bryan as much as i can for having never met the guy in person, and i respectfully disagree with the notion that "what's good for me the individual must be good when applied to every case..." which is the basic premise that "nobody should be able to legally own a gun" argument rests on. the infuriating thing about debating this subject is that both sides are so pumped full of rhetoric and emotional attachment to their perspective that they can't acknowledge a fact when it's laid out in front of them, plain as day. so i appreciate a place like this where none of us are gung-ho one way or the other and we can communicate outside the media shitstorm and political posturing that dedicated boards seem to embrace.
minto wrote:We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana.
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/16/13 @ 17:22

I am pretty sure that Bryan was saying that he does not want to carry a gun, and that is why he does not. He was not saying that others should not be able to.
user avatar
Jez
donated to the club!
posts: 36
joined: 10/13/13 @ 03:26

Re: Firearms thread

postby Jez » 10/16/13 @ 17:26

Less talk more guns
user avatar
Nicktorius™
//elite
posts: 240
joined: 10/01/13 @ 17:43
location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Firearms thread

postby Nicktorius™ » 10/16/13 @ 17:57

image
I'll poop in your butt hole and then you will poop it back into my butt and we will keep doing it back and forth with the same poop. Forever.
user avatar
Sploinkin
//elite
posts: 526
joined: 10/08/13 @ 17:52
location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Firearms thread

postby Sploinkin » 10/16/13 @ 18:25

I just inherited some guns. Actually all the guns I have are inherited. I don't have any pictures of my own, but they are:

  • Winchester Model 61
  • Ruger 10/22 (compact I believe)
  • AR-7 Survival rifle
  • some 12 gauge shotgun that I haven't had the chance to look over yet
  • Longhorn Convertible 22 revolver
  • Ruger 9mm
phillyb™ wrote:and we still listened. just proving once more that cpb is cooler than your gf
user avatar
zoona
//elite
posts: 32
joined: 10/02/13 @ 11:34
location: Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Firearms thread

postby zoona » 10/16/13 @ 18:48

vejatabul wrote:There are shovels made for digging, and there are shovels made to be used as a weapon to kill.

Then they are not shovels... they are weapons.


vejatabul wrote:There are guns made for nothing more than shooting targets, and there are guns made for use as a weapon to kill.

Correct, however as Derek pointed out, the original purpose of guns is as a weapon to kill. That is where it came form.

vejatabul wrote:There is a need for defense where you are, but the need is so far out of your safe zone that you don't feel it to be a need.

In my life, there is such a small need to for a weapon to defend myself that I do not carry a gun, or a baseball bat, or a lead pipe etc. I subscribe to the escalation theory - "you bring a knife and I will bring a gun". I like the fact that there are many fewer guns in the UK - it make me feel safer. I have no stats to back that up.

@ecto_cooler You did see that. And do you know why you saw it? And do you know why people were so shocked they did nothing? Because it is so rare that it didn't compute in people's minds.
I agree with a lot of what you say, I wasn't picking on the US (it was just because that is where I think all of the posters came from). Guns are an alien thing in this country, and I like it that way.
It is not laws that stop there being gun violence, it is culture - look at Switzerland blah blah blah.
I don't think less of you because you like guns, or because you want to carry.
I am glad I don't live somewhere with the level of personal safety issues where people like me feel the need to carry weapons. I am not preaching, and I do not for one second think I have all (or any) of the answers.

Please, everybody go back to talking about their collections. I did not intend to derail. I was interested. I am still interested.

I am going to bed.
S-Ltd import, with some extra stuff, and more extra stuff lying around in my garage waiting for me.
user avatar
Derek
donated to the club!
posts: 1001
joined: 10/02/13 @ 09:58
location: Lanc-Gnar

Re: Firearms thread

postby Derek » 10/16/13 @ 19:04

vejatabul wrote:I am pretty sure that Bryan was saying that he does not want to carry a gun, and that is why he does not. He was not saying that others should not be able to.


That's how I read it. I actually read it as he wouldn't want that right taken from other people.

Jez wrote:Less talk more guns


I concur. Zoona posed a respectful question and there hasn't been any bickering (thankfully) but I'm here more for the hardware. :lol:


I got my girlfriend a Mossberg 500 20 gauge with an 18.5" barrel after an incident at her house at college. It came with a standard stock on it and a pistol grip in the box, which of course I couldn't convince her to swap. I got her some 3" 4-shot shells, and I told her it wouldn't kick too hard. Apparently my version of "kick too hard" and hers are very different...

image

Nice gun though, I'm thinking about the same thing in 12 gauge and putting the pistol grip on it. Would be better than just a handgun for in the house.
last edited by Derek on 10/16/13 @ 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Miata, SNC 1.6, DIY Randall, R-Package Lip, Overnight parts from Japan.
1979 XS650, far from stock.
1995 Sportster, 'merica. Wrecked.
2007 Sportster, 'merica 2.0.
user avatar
cpolly69
n00b
posts: 8
joined: 10/12/13 @ 23:46

Re: Firearms thread

postby cpolly69 » 10/16/13 @ 19:04

My Glock 19
image

My 1903
image

My Winchester Model 74
image

My Tikka T3 Beretta 300 WinMag (aka the shoulder dislocater)
image

My Mossberg 500
image

Quick size comparison 300 winmag vs 12ga vs 9mm
image

BOOM
image

Fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJvG1Q9fNBg
01 Miata (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
user avatar
Bryan
contributor!
posts: 893
joined: 10/10/13 @ 23:00
location: The Death Star
contact:

Re: Firearms thread

postby Bryan » 10/16/13 @ 21:03

vejatabul wrote:I am pretty sure that Bryan was saying that he does not want to carry a gun, and that is why he does not. He was not saying that others should not be able to.

Correct. I enjoy studying guns and I enjoy shooting guns. I do not want (for myself) the responsibility of owning one. That said, I do not want to infringe on the rights of others who wish to take that responsibility (and, IMHO, privilege) on.
-Bryan
user avatar
UrbanFuturistic
donated to the club!
posts: 111
joined: 10/08/13 @ 18:13

Re: Firearms thread

postby UrbanFuturistic » 10/16/13 @ 22:27

imageimage
image

This is my new (and by new, I mean used) S&W 908. It's a single stack 9mm, 8+1. It's not super compact, but it's certainly not a Beretta 92.
user avatar
ecto_cooler
workin' it in
posts: 85
joined: 10/10/13 @ 17:26

Re: Firearms thread

postby ecto_cooler » 10/17/13 @ 12:25

i gigglesnort when people post pics of their guns in their homes or in their possession then complain about government forcing them to register their guns so they can track who has what.

i don't believe in reg because i don't believe in making anything easier for the government... also why i stopped discussing my (hypothetical) firearms online.
minto wrote:We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana.
user avatar
XCLR8TN
donated to the club!
posts: 20
joined: 10/11/13 @ 17:52

Re: Firearms thread

postby XCLR8TN » 10/18/13 @ 12:08

Mine's in my avatar, I know I have pics somewhere but have to find them........
user avatar
cpolly69
n00b
posts: 8
joined: 10/12/13 @ 23:46

Re: Firearms thread

postby cpolly69 » 10/18/13 @ 12:28

ecto_cooler wrote:i gigglesnort when people post pics of their guns in their homes or in their possession then complain about government forcing them to register their guns so they can track who has what.

i don't believe in reg because i don't believe in making anything easier for the government... also why i stopped discussing my (hypothetical) firearms online.



what country do you live in?

registration in the us basically doesn't exist unless you choose to live in one of the super locked down states
01 Miata (Project)
03 P5 (DD)
user avatar
ecto_cooler
workin' it in
posts: 85
joined: 10/10/13 @ 17:26

Re: Firearms thread

postby ecto_cooler » 10/18/13 @ 12:54

... and it never will, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about government pushing for it nationally, or at the very least obtaining information on gun owners using its well-reported espionage activities.

not a tinfoil hat type of guy, just a common-sense advocate. if i were ever in a situation where i had to use my firearm, even in Texas, i'd hate for things to turn nasty when biased media or lawyers went through and found enough posts and pictures on the internet to paint me as a nutty militant collector of "assault weaponry." sadly, it doesn't take much these days to be portrayed that way.
minto wrote:We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana.
user avatar
minto
//elite
posts: 121
joined: 10/11/13 @ 00:50
location: Scotland - Land of the COLD!
contact:

Re: Firearms thread

postby minto » 10/18/13 @ 13:01

Legit ^ Also kinda true. It'll only take one person.. to be drugged up, and forced under this MK Ultra program your government is so proud of.. to turn any one of you.. into a gun slinging killer.. As soon as the media rapes your name and steals all the photos.. you wont have a leg to stand on. I actually believe thats whats been going on.

They need your guns. As with them.. they cant take your freedom totally away yet. As soon as you give them up, well.. you know where this is going.

Anyway. We cant use guns here in the UK. So I bought a katana. Its sharp as fuck.. so sharp I cut my hand within 5 minutes of owning and have meow got nerve damage in my fingers I cant feel it anymore.. stupid stupid me. But at least I know its fucking sharp. HA.

Looks boss too.
image

Looks like that without the black / writting on it.. All white baby. ;)
[ Minty.Fresh NA8 | RX8 | JZX100 ]
image
user avatar
vejatabul
//elite
posts: 234
joined: 10/01/13 @ 15:21

Re: Firearms thread

postby vejatabul » 10/18/13 @ 13:03

I got one of those, but it goes on the end of my gun.

return to “sports, fitness, and recreation”

who is online

users browsing this phorum: no registered users and 2 guests