Longboard

nobody likes hockey, but you can talk about guns and fitness here...
andy
donated to the club!

Longboard

postby andy » 10/27/13 @ 18:12

Ok so a friend suggested I should get into long boarding to get around my school's campus.

I do not know the first thing about long boarding any tips, suggestions, thoughts?

A friend of mine is letting me borrow her sector 9 oracle long board until friday when I see her again. She said she would let me buy it from her, so I have a week to see if long boarding is for me or not.
andy
donated to the club!

Re: Longboard

postby andy » 10/27/13 @ 18:13

Is that a recommended board for a newby? I have zero intention on tricks. I just want a faster means of transportation than walking.
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/27/13 @ 23:34

You should focus on the size of the board. Longer ones are easier to ride but harder to maneuver in tight areas. Vice-versa for shorter boards. I prefer short boards but I've been riding for a long time.

If your campus is wide open, just get a standard longboard with big wheels and really good set of bearings. The bearings are the most important decision you can make. Lucky Swiss bearings are amazing and glide for dayssssssssssss.
01 SE: N/A Racecar Build
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/27/13 @ 23:38

my research was indicating something called bones super red are the best for the money.

This is all assuming I can and do like using her board. I might buy hers if it is decent or I might buy my own.

Spitefull my campus is huge. When i say huge it takes me 20 minutes on tuesday to walk from where i park to my first class. Same for my second class and so on.
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 10/28/13 @ 01:51

I can chime in here.. Been skating for years slowly stopped due to college is over and well I got really into cars

Anywhoo.. Bearings for days... Many brands and bones Swiss are awesome had a set myself

Let's ask yourself though.. What's the weather like outside where you are.. I ask cause in flagstaff az it snows/ rains and gets dirty quick... If your roads are like that ceramic are the way to go... While expensive they require a lot less cleaning.. To begin just get some basic bone red, they last a good while

Boards.... Different types for days and there are advantage to each a well a disadvantages.. Secter 9 boards are your basic board, while mostly long and bouncy they do have stiff and short as well... They will be the cheapest boards for basic stuff

Types of boards: drop thru- this is when the trucks drop through the board itself I can find pics if you want they make it easier to turn and have better stability for higher speeds because you are lower o the ground they have bouncy and stuff versions

Top mount- while you can't turn as well.. You can lean like crazy if need be... They are less stable at higher speeds but you begin to like it if you get into it heavily

Most crucial part wheels
Larger wheels give better grip... Higher duro is means higher rebound which will let you roll for longer... They don't grip as well if needin to make sharp turns quickly it will slide easier but will have less control if you get into tricks

Less duro means softer, while less roll speed will be retained you will have better grip and better control

Long boards can be expensive if you want quality.. If you want a board premade they are cheaper but less quality

Sorry for long post... Long boarding was my passion in college... Just know your gonna fall... It will happen and you cannot avoid it... So yeah just know that haha
Brutus- 1.6l "meow" turbo miata
spitefulcheerio
//elite

postby spitefulcheerio » 10/28/13 @ 07:18

xbeatles4x wrote:my research was indicating something called bones super red are the best for the money.

This is all assuming I can and do like using her board. I might buy hers if it is decent or I might buy my own.

Spiteful my campus is huge. When i say huge it takes me 20 minutes on tuesday to walk from where i park to my first class. Same for my second class and so on.

You go to UM? If so, good luck next caturday against my big dog Seminoles :D

FSU's campus is about a 30 minute walk from one side to the other. It's all contained in one area so things can get pretty tight with tens of thousands of people walking around all at once. I liked my short board so I could doge the tards on cell phones, cars who don't understand the right of way through crosswalks, and people on bikes who don't give a shit.

Bone's reds spin well but don't last as long as a better bearing. A ceramic bearing will last forever. Have a set of Lucky Swiss on that I've put on 3 different boards and they still glide perfectly.

Also, you definitely will fall. I've been riding for over 7 years and still fall every once in awhile
01 SE: N/A Racecar Build
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 09:36

um no I go to FIU. We suck at just about any sport so no amount of luck will help us win a game.

Ill try to keep falling to a minimum. Ill probably stick with just taking my iPad in my bag instead of my laptop for a while before I really get the hang of it.
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 10/28/13 @ 11:48

I kid you not If I don't fall in a while I feel like it's coming soon... And of course it always does but I got 2 longboards still cause I use to race

If you get into like I did it is a great feeling ... Hitting 50mph on nothing but a board with some wheels

So crazy got video to 1 moment
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/28/13 @ 11:55

don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/28/13 @ 11:55

don't get caught
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 10/28/13 @ 11:55

andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 12:36

Philly B what is the difference in design between the last 2 boards for functionality? If I want just a cruiser to get around campus.
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 10/28/13 @ 12:44

xbeatles4x wrote:Philly B what is the difference in design between the last 2 boards for functionality? If I want just a cruiser to get around campus.

i have no idea.
none of those are mine. hahaha
don't get caught
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 10/28/13 @ 13:38

The first one will help with turning cause you can lift the front up and turn like a skateboard

The other one is longer an will be harder to do that with
Basically both for cruising one will allow for sharper turns than the other
iRoadster
i'm getting there...

postby iRoadster » 10/28/13 @ 16:21

Save yourself some face and just get a bicycle. The average "college" person on a longboard makes me want to shit with laughter. Seeing someone attempting it while wearing a fedora would be the final nail in the coffin. I'd have to suggest a Zip Zinger if you insist on giving it a go.
Sorry, but 18 years of skateboarding (the real kind) has made me the tiniest bit biased. Longboards are for bombing hills as fast as you dare, not for trudging slower than you think across a campus to go play hackysack and listen to Jack Johnson.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 17:40

I'd recommend a drop down drop through for your first board. Not only are they more stable at speed but they're way easier to push because of how low they are.

Line the others have said Swiss berrings are the shit but super reds aren't bad. I'm really hard on my board so I use super reds since they're cheaper to replace (rains a lot here and but doesn't stop me from riding).

Wheels seem to be a big controversy, a lot of people like orangatangs, I prefer abec-11s, since this is just a campus cruiser it honestly shouldn't matter too much and a durometer rating between 78-84a should be fine. Another thing you'll notice is that some wheels have a sharp lip while others are rounded, the sharp lip will give you a bit more grip.

I use a no name blank drop down drop through for most of the year ( no need to ruin a nice deck in the rain), 72mm 81a abec-11 freerides which are pretty close to coring haha, bones super reds, and I don't remember whT trucks I'm using right meow. They're not amazing but they get the job done. Century?
I use this set up for hillbombing/sliding/cruiser.
bannyd
donated to the club!

postby bannyd » 10/28/13 @ 18:27

i make my own longboards
just straight cruisers
48" in length, 9-10" wide and typical pintail shape
gullwing charger trucks
bones bearings
i dont use grip tape or anything special -- just 3/4" plywood and a saw
no contours - dont need them

if you dont know how to ride, learn.
if you are willing to learn, get something in the 30-40" range
it'll be easier to ride and turn

if you buy a longer board, get some risers for the trucks - you'll be higher off the ground, but you'll be able to make sharper turns

also
put pbhm! sticker on it
bannyd
donated to the club!

postby bannyd » 10/28/13 @ 19:02

also .. here's a video of me falling at 30+ mph... while holding the camera... about 5 years ago...

http://youtu.be/tI5WYNa-B2k
that was a fun day showing up to calculus class with my hand bleeding haha
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 20:32

Well I borrowed her board today. It had slant trucks, globe longboard deck 43 inches long and sector 9 wheels.

I rode it around the block and when I got home road around my block. It was perfectly fine and I could see my self doing it.

I'm meow online looking up a bamboo longboard deck
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 20:40

Can't watch the video on mobile :(. I've fallen a couple of times going that fast, it's not fun at all, my knee was fucked up for weeks and I still have the scar the size of my knee cap lol. My elbow took a good hit too. My face would've been really messed up if I didn't go face first into mud, only a few cuts and a busted lip.

I used to skate(board) daily and I usually skate vert. I've definitely hurt myself a lot more skating but there are few falls you take that are as anus clenching as a "high" speed longboard fall haha.
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 20:46

Yay I have 0 intention on going over 10 mph and I do not intend on any sort of tricks.

If I wanted a plain bamboo deck or mostly plain who makes a half way decent one? I was looking at sector 9 but they did not have plain enough for me. Way too many designs.
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 10/28/13 @ 21:12

There all gonna have design really unless you create your own.. Or sand it off

Falling is part of the game... Especially going fast I have a smiley face on my back meow.. But you shouldn't fall to bad if your under 10mph
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 21:25

^ pretty much. If you're just trying to find a pin tail for cursing under 10mph it won't matter. Is still recommend a drop down drop through because of how effortless pushing is (easier than a skateboard) but I started with pin tails too. iRoadster did bring up a good point, be prepared to take some flak for cruising around a college campus on a longboard while wearing a fedora. Not that you should care, it'll most likely happen though.
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 21:28

Well any advise on what drop down drop through to take a look at? I prefer the look of no bamboo all wood or mostly wood looking board.

Side question. On a drop down drop through how is turning and stability. As a noob I want as much stability as possible.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 21:36

You won't be going fast enough to worry about stability, I do prefer drop downs for turning though. You feel a bit more planted and since the wheel area is cut out on them you can lean pretty far.
I'd recommend a land yachtz but they're spending. I'm using an eBay cheapie that I got for like $40. It's held up great so far, just over a year of hard use which is how fast I was replacing sector 9s and arbors ( again I ride In the rain often). The quality isn't the best and it's a bit too firm for my liking but there is no reason at all it shouldn't work for you.

Typically a drop down drop through is more stable at speed than other decks because they're lower, the only draw back is that they can be a little short. I prefer a medium length deck for sliding though. My pin tail was a bit more stable at high speed 25mph+ but not by much. I'll never go back to pin tails after riding a my recent board.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 21:40

I have this but in purple
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0924381189
@xbeatles4x this is about as plain as you can get.
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 21:55

Yah I just feel slightly conflicted. Call me crazy but I sort of wanted something tried and true. I will peruse craigslist and throw what I find up here.

Any advice I should be aware of on trucks or are they pretty much all the same but with different bushings.

I meow know the big difference between different wheels and bearing.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 22:11

I mean... You're pushing around a campus. You could use a 2x4 if you wanted. All YOU need is something to stand on that you can mount trucks to. If you have to have a name brand board for that campus cruiser swag then I would personally be looking at a used land yachtz. My friend has one of their drop down drop throughs and it's my favorite board to ride.

Trucks are not all the same. Proper bushings will make a huge difference but you also have to look at how wide they are. Without knowing what board you're looking at I couldn't recommend a width. I've been happy enough with my century trucks and I think they were also around $40. I had a set of sector 9s before these and I'm MUCH happier with the centurys
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 22:27

Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 22:32

Beyond gay lol. Basically a mountain board for the fucking street. Just what I wanted, a huge, heavy setup that my feet are strapped onto.

They will let you LEAN though. I'd still never buy one
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 22:38

I was not interested in it. It looks way too damn heavy. I was just curious what it was.
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 22:39

Lmfao - if only I could look this cool
http://youtu.be/96lZyfbHM0I
On my phone, can't imbed YouTube
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 22:40

Is something like this more of what I would want?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/spo/4135540160.html
Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 22:54

That doesn't look too bad, pretty positive it's a pre-built sector 9. I'm assuming he's using the bearings that came with the wheels so ditch those in favor of some super reds or Swiss. Those look like the same trucks that were on my sector 9, if they are you definitely want better bushings.
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 22:56

Hey could you help me identify these trucks? These are on the loaner board I have and they felt awesome and look even cooler.

I also really liked the board.

andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 22:56

Hey could you help me identify these trucks? These are on the loaner board I have and they felt awesome and look even cooler.

I also really liked the board.

Arjay
phuckin' phaggots

postby Arjay » 10/28/13 @ 23:05

Come on bro the answer is right there. Slant trucks. They're made by globe (that's a globe prebuilt).
http://thelongboardstore.com/trucks/slant/
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/28/13 @ 23:07

Sorry I knew slant but I could not find the specific bamboo looking one.
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 10/29/13 @ 00:17

If you end up getting a prebuilt board MOST are not the best that way... Everything is usually pretty cheap.. If you bought everything seperate or ordered it put together with your set up it could be great

I did the later of the two most of the time... A good board with trucks wheels bushings and bearings will cost close to $200 + for just cruising some Paris/caliber trucks are nice $50 new

Boards that's your call for what you really want sounds like drop thru is what you were leaving towards and landyacht are great quality shit especially startin out

For wheels abec 11 center set wheels are great and I've loved them for the roll and distance you can travel
andy
donated to the club!

postby andy » 10/29/13 @ 00:24

Well i am not entirely decided yet on the kind of board. I do know I want bamboo just because so I will see what I can get used on craigslist for that.

I am leaning toward those truck I am using meow as they look pretty awesome and handled great (to me) they are $50.

I would just need wheels and bearing then.

return to “sports, fitness, and recreation”