My not a Miata Roadster

half of you phaggots have miatas. i want to see the other half. trollolol
RevolverRob
workin' it in

My not a Miata Roadster

postby RevolverRob » 07/20/16 @ 16:38

TL;dr - Last year I bought a '71 Ford F100 that was supposed to be my daily driver. Turns out my dad likes the truck and we decided to trade my truck for his car, a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 3. Car runs, but the brakes have been locked up since 2011. Since it was last registered (2007) my parents have restored two houses and gained 2 grandkids along with two new in-laws. So, my dad has been a bit too busy to work on an expensive little British car.

My summer vacation and next few years will be working on this thing. Right meow the goal is get this gal back on the road. I have about 10-days left, before I am supposed to leave on a road trip in this car back to Chicago, driving from Austin to Route 66 in Oklahoma City and up Rt. 66 to Chicago...I still have to...uhh..

Finish rebuilding the clutch and brake system (waiting on brake line adapters currently)
Fit a new soft top (waiting on it to arrive)
Finish wiring in the new electric fan (waiting on parts to arrive)

But I've accomplished in the last 7 days, included two and a half days fighting a nasty summer cold -

Rebuilding the rear-end, fit the electric fan, build and fit seat brackets for MGB seats, fit new 3-point seat belts, fit new brake master cylinder, replace and inspect all of the soft and hard brake lines, prep for the new clutch master cylinder, and do an engine tuneup.

Worthless without pics.

Broken rear-end bolt! Broke when we removed it to rebuild the rearend... :suicide:

Rebuilt rear brakes, but more importantly, when pulling the hubs to rebuild the axle, my dad damaged the threads on the axle. Which meant I spent 2-days waiting for tools and parts to arrive. But after getting the right tools and a new axle nut (for a 1991 Toyota TurdCel!) it's all back together and properly torqued.

Nothing says British Car like overheating. But I hate overheating and I'm American. High-CFM 10" electric fan wired as a pusher and installed on the front side of the radiator.

MGB seats with head-rests and new 3-point seatbelts = Major safety upgrade.

On stands in the garage, while I nap, because it's 103 degrees outside and 110 in the garage.

The British auto parts store gets it...

Teejay187
site admin

Re: My not a Miata Roadster

postby Teejay187 » 07/22/16 @ 15:55

All roadsters are welcome! Car looks cool, and the color fits the name perfectly! Inline 4 engine?
99' Miata
RevolverRob
workin' it in

postby RevolverRob » 07/22/16 @ 21:53

Yes, it has a later model 1725cc push-rod 4-cylinder. Wide-ratio 4-speed, 3.89 gears, 2200 pounds.

Got some more work done the last few days. Finished rebuilding the rear end, setup the brakes, gotta start bleeding them down tomorrow. Biggest issue is I ordered the wrong adapter for the hydraulic clutch, which is keeping me behind. Oh well...Got a few things in the wiring harness to button up and I started fitting my new soft-top from Robbins today, in addition to painting and fitting the sheet medal pieces that conceal the soft-top when it is folded down.

___

Once the top is fitted and the car is driving, my budget for this year is pretty much... :suicide: - But over the winter I'll rebuild the close-ratio 4-speed I have and fit an old school electric overdrive to it, along with a rebuild of the twin Zenith carbs (including a slight bump in jetting and velocity stacks. :phillyb™:

Next year, I hope to do a quick overhaul on the engine, new main bearings, ported head, Isky racing camshaft, roller-rockers. With the rebuilt carbs, I should put about 100-120 down at the rear wheels...Which is a damn sight better than the original 84 horsepower the engine produced. :facepalm:

Eventually the plan is not only to daily drive it, but to campaign it in F Street Prepared Solo and the occasional trackday with the VSCDA (Vintage Sports Car Driver's Association). VSCDA does a number of track events in the mid-west, all within ~2 hours of Chicago. I'd really like to have the car there to run their even at Road America in two years. We'll see how it goes.

BUT - In the event that the Sunbeam engine shits the bed and really goes south on me...An NA/NB engine and transmission (up through the NB 6-speed), will nearly drop-in to the car. Seriously...make some motor mounts, wire the fuel injection. I'm keeping that in my back pocket in case I come across a nice supercharged 1.6 or 1.8 or maybe a 1.8 with ITBs...
RevolverRob
workin' it in

postby RevolverRob » 07/23/16 @ 22:06

Actually got the soft-top mostly installed today, tomorrow I just have to go through and tighten it up...though I did manage to put a fucking hole in my new Robbins top. :suicide:

Oh well, it was only like $350...so FUCK IT. :trolldance: It's a small hole and I patched it, but man does that piss me off. :kitty:

Brakes are bled, clutch finished up tomorrow. Once I get everything wired in, I should be good to go for cranking and doing a test drive.
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 07/26/16 @ 12:49

Holes can be patched! Pictures of the top installed?
99' Miata
RevolverRob
workin' it in

postby RevolverRob » 07/26/16 @ 20:01

The blue tape was just holding the weather stripping in place while I attached the top in place.

phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/27/16 @ 17:58

LOVE THIS
don't get caught
CorkSport - Derrick
//elite

postby CorkSport - Derrick » 08/04/16 @ 13:43

Miata swap?
RevolverRob
workin' it in

postby RevolverRob » 08/10/16 @ 13:13

CorkSport - Derrick wrote:Miata swap?

Corksport want to fund it and help me build it?* :phillyb™: I will volunteer the car to be a test bed for radical prototype parts, should you be willing.

Unfortunately, the car is in Texas and I am in Chicago meow...I made it 10-miles before the engine overheated and stuck a ring in the #3 cylinder. Thus ending my planned epic road trip. So meow, the engine comes out to either be rebuilt or...

Miata Swap?

Or far more likely - V8 swap. I have in the garage back home a Ford 5.0 from a 1988 HO Mustang, along with a good T5, and a Dana 44 rear axle. A few cuts to the firewall and some steering modifications is all it takes. Shelby did it in the '60s, I think I can do it in the 'teens.

Although the wife is totally in support of a Miata swap. The difficult there is finding a solid donor car. What would be trick as shit is to find a good Miata and swap in the drivetrain from waterpump all the way to the rear end.

-Rob

*I will totally accept partial funds and/or shoptime in exchange for this swap.
RevolverRob
workin' it in

postby RevolverRob » 04/11/17 @ 01:08

No major updates. After I stuck a ring on the #3 cylinder, my dad filled the cylinders with ATF. When I went home in December, I slowly cranked the motor over with a big breaker bar and got it loose. After that, I was able to crank the car and get it to idle. It's running rough, but it is running. So meow the plan is to tear it down this summer and put new rings and mains in it. Along with a mild port on the head, a cam-regrind, wrapping my headers, and swapping a pair of Weber ICTs in over the stock and worn-the-fuck-out Zeniths.

I'm also in the process of rebuilding the trans for the car. The trans in the car pops out of 3rd and 4th gear and I need a new clutch anyways. So, I pulled out the close ratio box that my dad had as a spare and brought it home with me to Chicago. I've torn it down, identified the problem on why it was popping out of 2nd gear (shift fork detent spring was bad). I'm waiting on parts meow and then I can reassemble the box. Then basically, we yank the engine, send the head and cam off to the machine shop, do the mains and rings, drop in the new clutch and rebuilt trans - That should keep the car moving forward for minimal outlay of cash for awhile.

Giving me some time to address some of the other issues I need to (cosmetics, paint, etc). The long-term plan is to do the V8 swap. I've been playing around with figuring out the suspension - http://racingasp.com/iul5za2h - Using off-the-shelf Mustang II A-arms, spindles, and a narrowed steering rack, I've been able to figure out whether or not I can build something that doesn't suck in terms of travel and roll center. I've basically discovered I can't break the car without rolling it over, or shoving the wheels into the engine compartment. It should, in theory fit underneath the Sunbeam, all I have to do is build the correctly dimensioned crossmember to install the parts, not mucking with the lengths or mounting points too much. I think I'll use adjustable upper-A arms, and coil-overs, based on my weight/corner weighting scheme and overall build.

Then it's a matter of cutting out the firewall/trans tunnel, narrowing the Ford 8" rear end I have, and installing it all. No big deal...maybe in five years or so I can do it...

return to “build threads”