New Zealand build

half of you phaggots have miatas. i want to see the other half. trollolol
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

Re: New Zealand build

postby Chrismx5 » 06/08/15 @ 19:15

No huge updates sadly. I have managed to wrangle some GTR turbos which is a very nice pickup.
I have decided that the cef is going to be a 30det. Mainly because I love the low end torque of the 30 block.

I have finally finished the bloody panel work, didn't manage to paint it this weekend due to funds, but that doesn't bother me too much.
I went ahead and celebrated, the only way I know how. 2nd gear burnout!
It hooked 3rd, but my gear knob fell off. fml.

I have a huge goal of opening my own shop, getting my certification in automotive and panel work and building/repairing cars. Who will trust a shop that can't even put a cheap motor together? So I am building this motor as if it were to come from a factory, everything is going to be rebuilt, polished or brand new.
This should be a good base for a 500whp daily.

Also - cleaned head. Before/After

Still not quite finished!
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 06/17/15 @ 18:48

I'm slack, and I should feel bad, so here are some of the recent updates..

[QUOTE=Chrismx5;4968777]Thanks for the kind words!

Going to go with the 25 head, definitely due to cost. I started porting the head over the weekend, at the bottom of this post I'll attach some images. Obviously not finished I should add, and at the moment just doing the bulky part of the porting, will go into the small details once I am ready.

GTR R32 turbos =]

Also purchased a hood strut, I was sick of the bonnet falling on my head, and for $30 I couldn't complain =]

Pushed the cef out to get the factory guards on it again, my god it looks AMAZING!!

I also managed to pick up all of my plugs so I can get to work on the loom. The plan for the loom is something simple to connect/disconnect.
There will be two "main" plugs, one that goes from the ECU, into the engine bay, and one from the engine bay onto the engine. This way when things are in the way I can unplug the entire loom =]

Picture time.

image[/QUOTE]

That is more or less where I am up to.

I have some R32 5 stud rear hubs I still need to install, unfortunately removing the existing hubs bent my meter long breaker bar... Don't ask..

I have also removed the loom from the engine bay, and started wiring up my new loom, quite exciting I have to say.. !
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 06/18/15 @ 16:51

Great update! Awesome that you`re thinking about opening a shop :phillyb™:
99' Miata
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 06/18/15 @ 19:19

Cheers!

I have the engine harness removed entirely, I will be wiring the remainder of the Link G4 in over the weekend, I am hoping to crank the car (still with the 30e) by Sunday night.

Once I have got the car running with the 30e motor + Link G4, I will finish off the porting of the DE head. In the mean time (until the DE head is on) the car will be used to its potential ;D
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 06/21/15 @ 17:00

Great weekend!
Would've cranked the car as all the wiring is meow complete, although... Well, I was a bit of a swaggy phag when I was at highschool, so I used mac (music was a lot easier to record etc on mac)
And sadly, the tuning software I am using isn't supported on mac :'(

Managed to turn my matchbox taxi into a mini cefiro, I only have a handful of pictures unfortunately, just waiting for some screws to put it all back together =]

Just need to tidy the clear coat up a tiny bit :D
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 07/22/15 @ 22:36

Much lazy, I am.

The ECU is wired in completely :D I have fuel, and I have spark! I just need to see if it cranks, calibrate the CAS and TPS and the car should be golden to do more hectic burnouts!

On the topic of laziness.
I am in a need of a travel holiday. The US of A is looking like a nice place over winter.

Would anyone be keen on partying over Jan/Feb?
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 09/30/15 @ 00:00

bump
don't get caught
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/04/15 @ 14:24

Wow - I have been gone some time!
Started chatting to Teejay in the early hours of this morning, and said I would post an update. So, as promised!

Shit, the last update was nearly six months ago!

The cars I have in my ownership as of today;
1990 Mx5 (insurance write off, possible father/son race car)
Nissan A31 Cefiro (RB30det)
Nissan 350z
Nissan R33 Skyline Gts25t

I was running around in the mx5 as a daily, and things were going well, ended up being cut off, and the car declared a write off. The man that cut me off, admitted liability etc, but once his claim form was handed in a different story unfolded.
I was called a boy racer, and instantly the accident was my fault. We have taken him/his insurance company to court.
With the liability put back onto me, it meant I had to repair the car out of my own pocket.. And being an insurance claim, this meant I had to have an approved garage do the work. I couldn't justify a $2k bill on a car worth $3k. So I parked it up, and set out for a new daily.
I had a mx5 as a daily to get rid of the "boy racer" label, that obviously didn't work.

With a budget of up to $10,000 I said to myself "if I spend more than $5,000 I want a turbo." "If I spend less, I will spend as little as possible"
Had a look around some really cheap Hondas, then a R33 popped up. He was asking $6,500 - a fair price.
Had a look at the car, and straight off the bat there were a few issues. The speedo didn't work. The fuel gauge didn't work, the tacho was fucked, the suspension was.. Interesting. So I knocked the price down to $4,500.
A couple of hours in the garage, and the speedo was golden again, and the fuel gauge worked like new.
Ended up picking up a second gauge cluster, as the tacho circuit board was fried. So for a few hours, and $50 I had a working gauge cluster!

After a couple of weeks of cruising around, The rear end started dancing. I thought the tire had popped off the bead, but nope - the damage can be seen in the picture below :'(
The PO rattle gunned the lug nuts on, didn't finger them on to get thread engagement *sigh*
After seeing the damage, I decided I would replace all the studs for peace of mind.

The suspension was causing a few head aches, and I planned on replacing the shocks/springs with OEM replacements... until some Ohlins popped up. So they went straight into the car, and they have been an incredible upgrade.

It had a West Auckland (Backyard/redneck) exhaust system.. it was LOUD. I liked it, but.. To daily drive, it was just cop bait. Took it to a local workshop, and had a 3inch mandrel bent system put on with resonators and twin tail pipe (stock looking) installed.

The Z has no motor, but a RB block sitting in place for meow.. That will be worked on as time/money allows.

Future plans;
Steel headgasket on R33
New Cambelt
New turbo

I have the headgasket at hand, just waiting for the turbo, and the xmas break!

Shall keep updated from meow on <3
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/04/15 @ 14:30

To beat my insomnia, it was suggested I stay up for 24 hours + to induce exhaustion.
My cat tried the same
slyskiller
jailbait

postby slyskiller » 12/06/15 @ 15:58

Holy shit that R33 is pretty neat!! Glad to see you active! I've missed you :thilly:
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/06/15 @ 22:41

I'm back! :) Sorry Sly <3

Well, yesterday I had a text from a good mate, that I met earlier this year on the South Island track tour. He was asking if I was doing it again next year.
To be honest, I had really wanted to, but had little motivation to do anything about it.

Tuesday last week, marked my 4 years working at the company I am at, and on that day I thought "fuck man, you nearly missed your own 21st, you would have missed a 4 year working anniversary, but here you are. Time to make the most of what you have"

After getting the text, and having those thoughts that same week, I said fuck it, I'm going - will I race on the tracks? Not sure. Will I go? Most definitely.

So, got the TE's out of the garage, and got some paint down (see below.)

Looked cool, they really just screamed RACEKOR in bright orange.
But, to NZ Police, they also screamed "Bro, bro, fully ticket me, man" And well, I just can't afford any more infringements (until Jan!)

So, new paint looks dope! Much more nanna spec. And to make it better, the big fuck off Z33 Brembos are a direct bolt on to the r33 ;)

Also corrected the timing on the motor, was running 20deg at idle, brought it down to 15deg as per the FSM.

Time to start making a list of things needed for the trip!
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 12/07/15 @ 09:22

Great updates man! Sorry to hear about the insurance though. I guess the trial didn't go well? Way to get young people to trust the authorities.. smdh...

Wheels cleaned up REAL nice! And that cat looks like how I feel right meow haha!
99' Miata
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/07/15 @ 20:56

Insurance claim is still on going sadly. I have come to the conclusion that I will be seen as a "boy racer" regardless. I don't speed on the road anymore, and there is little else I can do. It is, what it is!

The wheels have been finished!

Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 12/09/15 @ 11:39

I want an r33 too!
Brutus- 1.6l "meow" turbo miata
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/09/15 @ 20:48

One wheel left to paint! So shall get that done tonight.

Next big upgrade is the brakes! I like to go fast, and to go fast, you need to be able to stop fast, too.
The Z33 had a large amount of money into its brake setup, and meow I am rebuilding it for even more power, the brakes are, unfortunately not going to be adequate.
But, not to worry, why waste a good brake setup? R33 will meow have some big mother truckin' brakes!

need to drill the knuckle out, hopefully will get the fronts done this weekend!
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/13/15 @ 22:04

"The R33 is a daily, it already has plenty of power"

*sigh* That didn't last long - headed down to Thunder in The Park last weekend with a couple of mates in Superlaps, I need more power - and it's happening soon!
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 12/14/15 @ 02:44

hahaha

I was thinking the 2JZ in the GS300 will keep me happy for a while... I have the car like one week today, didn't even have time to change the brakes and plugs yet, but I'm already doing research on NA-T conversion lol
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 12/14/15 @ 05:55

You guys have the racekor disease. Recommended cure is to buy a car that can't be modded!
99' Miata
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 12/14/15 @ 08:55

there's no such car lol
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 12/16/15 @ 16:20

Well, 300wkw (300 wheel kilowatt) will be the goal, and should be completed early Feb..

This will be fun!
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 01/29/16 @ 23:08

I seriously HATE when threads do what I'm about to do.
Nothing has changed to the car, and will not change, for a while at least.

I spent my xmas eve swapping a sr18de back into a P10, and ended up slipping a disc in my back. Christmas morning, I woke up and felt as if my back hadn't moved for a year, it was excruciating.

Drove up to see my folks and wish them a Merry Christmas, and the pain was getting worse. I decided I couldn't drive the hour back to my place to see a doctor, so had a few beers (my excuse was I didn't have any pain killers with me, so beer will do!) and stayed the night.
The following morning, went to A & E, and the slipped disc was confirmed (yay)

My xmas/New Years break was exceptionally uneventful recovering from the slipped disc. It's meow over a month after I did it, and I am still not allowed to work on a car, four more weeks, and counting!

So although I had all these great plans for the break.. Nothing was accomplished. They will happen, eventually.

In the mean time, I have a "2kcup" project in mind. Racing on a budget!
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 01/30/16 @ 02:43

I wish you a swift recovery!

rehabilitation and excercise is your friend. This happened to me 3 years ago and my back still hurts. The good thing is pain doesn't shoot in my left leg anymore lol
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 02/06/16 @ 19:08

Cheers George - recovering slowly, keeping myself out of cars is a bit of a mission, but have been doing strength exercises with the physio for the past fortnight, and have been allowed to do "minimal" work on cars..

The Miata that was tee-boned about 8 months ago finally has a new fender on it! Got that all sorted out yesterday, saved myself just shy of 2k in panel beating fees!

I have a question for you Miata folk, I will put a picture up later today, but rust on the firewall.. (drivers side in the US Market) how common is it?

Bearing in mind this is a "JDM" model, so I drive on the opposite side, and therefore there is no brake booster there either..
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 02/06/16 @ 19:58

Picture :D image
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 02/08/16 @ 14:57

Yup, there's a drain right behind the firewall there... Pretty common rust spot imho
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 02/09/16 @ 05:12

Cefiros and R33's

you're killing me.
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 02/13/16 @ 21:07

Hnng - Hate wiring! Nissan decided to put in a "smart Entrance" module.. Of course, there are no bloody diagrams/schematics for it ANYWHERE!
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 02/14/16 @ 15:37

GeorgeG5 » mon dec 14, 2015 1:44 am wrote:hahaha

I was thinking the 2JZ in the GS300 will keep me happy for a while... I have the car like one week today, didn't even have time to change the brakes and plugs yet, but I'm already doing research on NA-T conversion lol

Have you seen the white quad rotor GS? (hold pLz: lurning how 2 utube)

Of course he drives a miata meow. :unicorn:

Does every member of CPB own a set of TE37's or Wats? :kitty:

Anything but R33 for me.
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 02/15/16 @ 10:22

oh yes, I'd love that!
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 02/20/16 @ 19:58

That GS is a local, too!

I was never a fan of the R33, to be fair, I'm still not - but that's what I like about it! It's the ugly Ducking...
Or, as I am a New Zealander, a Black Sheep

Also, how does a New Zealander find sheep in long grass?

Quite pleasing.
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 02/23/16 @ 22:29

Ignoring the fact it is stupidly hot - today has been good.
Managed to finally nail everything on the dirty 33. The tacho is working, the speedo is working, no more "smart Entrance" the wiring meow makes sense.

Tomorrow is the "big day", time for WOF (compliance)... The car should pass, my only concern is the circlip height adjustable Shocks... Fingers crossed!
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 07/04/16 @ 21:16

So, last update was in Feb...

Nothing has really changed, after rewiring the majority of the dash loom, I'm happy everything is running!

The car passed its wof (thank the lord Jebus) I did have to get new tires, and I felt like I couldn't justify new tires for $200/corner when I could buy wheels and tires for $300... So I meow have R32 GTR Wheels! (Am I JDM yet?)

Time for a quick "life" update.
I left my job as an Underwriter in March, and had some brilliant plans to go travelling, but unfortunately, I am one of the people that Thinks, as opposed to Doing. Which sucks.
But, I have been keeping busy with small jobs here and there, and I have meow started buying/selling cars, and car parts to maintain income. As well as that, I have also enrolled to study (wtf, studying?!).
I am doing a Certificate in Automotive Engineering, which will hugely benefit my business.
Other than that, life has been good!

The local Race track (well, my preferred local track) has been purchased by someone with WAY too much money, and has essentially been shut down to grass roots events. It is meow a "premium" race track. At over $300/day for track use... I can't justify it.

Time to go and DO things, make this car fun again.

I need to buy a 14mm steel drill bit, so I can fit up my Z33 Brembos/discs, and then it will be onto the front mount :)

slyskiller
jailbait

postby slyskiller » 07/05/16 @ 12:42

The R33 is looking good! Congrats on going back to school, thatll definitely be a huge benefit it you.
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 07/05/16 @ 23:01

Cheers Sly!

Managed to paint up the grill and wing mirrors last night, have picture of the grill before/after :)

From matte black (vomit) to matching white <3

Still need to sand it down, but hey, much nicer
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 07/06/16 @ 03:39

Looking gooooood mate!
99' Miata
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 07/11/16 @ 20:56

Cheers Teejay!

As you can see in the photo, I haven't sanded down the grill yet, I have just finished repainting the mirrors, and spoiler, the bonnet is prepped and should be painted tomorrow. The paint is coming out better than expected!

And have come up with a genius plan.
I want to go snowboarding.. I have been looking into roof racks although...
The R33 Gtst is a coupe, and the battery is placed in the boot from factory, therefore, no folding rear seats.. And an old coupe... No "easy/cheap" solutions for roof racks for snowboarding, I love racing, and don't currently have a race car.. So...

R33 sedan for daily duties, and the GTST for track duties, stripped out, and any excess parts can be re used on the 33 sedan :D
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 07/13/16 @ 23:33

Winter has definitely set in! Have had a lot of wind and rain the past couple of days, which has also given me the chance to really "explore" possible options with the car. As much as I would love to build the R33 into the "grand tourer" I always imagine the car being, I simply can't afford to at this moment in time, and if I do chase that goal my motivation will start dwindling very quickly.

So, much like the blue turd (pictured below) I am going race car!

Okay, so not TOTALLY like the blue turd..
But the plan meow is;
Strip all unnecessary weight
Install Stand-alone ECU
Remove A/C
Full suspension overhaul
New bushes
Front Splitter
Lighter Flywheel
New tires
Z33 Brakes

And see what happens!
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 07/14/16 @ 08:09

Thats philthy fresh dude! I love the purple! So which suspension are you going to run? I can recommend Maruha :D
99' Miata
Chrismx5
donated to the club!

postby Chrismx5 » 10/17/16 @ 22:47

I have been meaning to update this for quite a while, meow!
Have stripped the engine down, I started with the mindset "I'll do the headgasket and cambelt" well, that quickly escalated, I have rebuilt the top end, had the head decked 0.1mm to compensate for the new HG. In the process of cleaning everything up and reinstalling :)
Removed aircon, and a few other bits and pieces. Also picked up a RB26dett intake manifold that I am going to begin to plan around. 6 ITB's and boost, because fuck you.

That's the majority of the car updated! Will get some pictures and what not tonight.
chiefmg
still a n00b

postby chiefmg » 10/17/16 @ 23:31

Did you know that your steering wheel is on the wrong side? How can you drive it that way??

return to “build threads”