Re: Scrat

postby phillyb™ » 03/19/14 @ 09:45

<3
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/23/14 @ 10:40

Stoly wrote:Felt like Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder for a few hours today. I've not really driven the car a whole lot other than some normal break-in, etc. and with the warmer temps I started noticing that the car was starting to run a bit hotter than normal. Hence the new belly pan. The dyno really showed how bad the car was actually running which is what prompted today's events. ShadowMX5 has a lot more experience with tuning so we planned to make a day of it. And I felt like Tom Cruise... He kept showing me maps and 3D images and went on and on about how Jesus himself could give no rational reason, short of a miracle, as to how the car managed to run the 1300 miles I've driven it. And I blinked. A lot. In my head I kept thinking, "I don't know... I just get in the car and drive. I have no idea what you are even talking about."

For those in the know, these are not the pretty pictures you want on your monitor...

40 degrees of advance timing at 3000RPM seems odd...

Scrat on the left; a programmed/tuned MSPnP on the right...

Remember when @brontosaurus told me to get a wideband? I've always had one. The gauge knew it and I could even see numbers dance around. The MSPnP, on the other hand, wasn't invited to get any information from it. In fact, it was set for narrowband! Not that it mattered much given how it was wired and not programmed. Thank god ShadowMX5 has all the needed stuff to calibrate it and get it to interact with the MSPnP. Just a quick rebuild and rewire and we're ready to start tuning...

Oh! It was around this time we figured out/learned why I only had 106WHP. Pedal to the floor = 58% for TPS on the MSPnP. Odd. Maybe there shouldn't be a goddamn bolt stopping the pedal. Maybe. We decided that, in the end, it would behoove us to actually calibrate the TPS and even Tom Cruise here knew that a 100% reading with the pedal to the floor made more sense than 58%. The bolt...

With a properly working TPS in both function and calibration we were joined by ShadowMX5's GF.

Miatae!

So weird to finally look bad on today and think that this was the highlight of the day. From this moment 'til the end, quicksand engulfs us. One thing after another after another... For those that have actually taken the time to tune a MSPnP you know there is some amount of just driving around to get things going. And if you have hood pins securing your hood you know that you should always check them before driving off. If you don't...

Fuck.

At least I know a fiberglass guy, right? At this point, I'm frustrated verging on pissed. Both with myself. meow if this was as bad as it got today, today would be a very bad day. But wait, there's more!

Non-interference =/= non-destructible. Long story short, it was too late to save. Weird chatter turned into loud chatter which turned out to be an oil pump issue. Pump, by the way, was brand new. What the engine couldn't handle was the massive lean situation and all indications and research indicate that you really can burn up a motor if it is running too lean too long. There is a reason you are supposed to actually program a MSPnP. You know, to see obvious issues like running all lean all the time. And here is pictorial proof.

Not sure that big fucking hole in the block will actually buff out. And to add insult to injury as I'm limping home...

Running like shit and taking back roads with a car that won't idle and jerks about like it has epilepsy didn't pan out well crossing over a set of railroad tracks... tore up the TRAP lip and cracked the bumper...

And a few as it sat before getting pushed into the garage.

R.I.P.? Maybe... I don't know. Going to sleep on it.

Weird. I'm pissed because if any of the body damage had happened on the track or if I'd done something stupid, I'd just have Mark and MarkII patch her up and do it all over again. Hell, I'd be happy to just have a cool story to tell but I don't. Yeah, I fucked up and forgot to pin the hood. Big deal, I get that. Hard shitty lesson to learn. The rest of this mess stems from trying to fix a tune that shouldn't have been driven 13 miles; let alone 1300 miles.

ShadowMX5 did all he could and after four hours of basically rewiring and resetting the entire electrical system, we were finally making baby steps toward an awesome tune. It was just too little too late and there was nothing he, or we, could have done to stop the carnage.

For meow, Scrat isn't dead. Just in a coma. And for how long, I'm not sure. About the only thing I know right meow is that 106WHP was remarkable all things considered.

are you fucking kidding me?
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/23/14 @ 10:40

ShadowMX5 wrote:Unfortunately, there's not really any positive info I can add to Stoly's post, other than the fact that all of this went downhill in a setting that could be (somewhat) controlled. If this had all happened while out driving the backroads, I know I'd be a hell of a lot more stumped/frustrated/Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot.

I'm actually glad that we were able to make the discovery of multiple problematic points today. If we hadn't, I'm not sure that Scrat would have ever been diagnosed with chronic shittastic tune disorder, complicated by impotence of the throttle plates. These explained why it was not only making hilariously low power, but producing weird rich and lean spikes, which can be seen on the dyno graph's AFR chart.

It became very clear once I uploaded a fuel map that was actually worth a damn and just letting the autotune program do its thing, that the wideband had probably never been calibrated, and that it had never been set up properly to actually send a wideband signal to the ECU.

This explained why the fuel map that was loaded in Scrat's ECU was obviously some generic or slightly-tweaked version of a generic map, rather than a tuned map developed with AFR correction and wideband input. I facepalmed pretty hard when we were driving Scrat around with my laptop hooked up to it: Geoff would hit the gas, and the AFR readings in TunerStudio were changing AT MOST...1 AFR point...through the entire throttle range.

I was not surprised then, when I hooked up the wideband to the calibration software and saw that the output to the ECU was straight-up narrowband output, with factory settings and all! Literally...nothing was adjusted with the install of the wideband it seems. Just plugging the thing is was obviously good enough to get it working!

As far as the AFR and ignition maps go, I don't even have words to describe the resounding, "WTF?!?!" that went through my head when I initially opened them up to see what they looked like. I really don't know what I was expecting after that wondrous fuel map...

And on the topic of the throttle actuation...yet another WTF moment right there. I mean, most people enjoy running their ITBs at WOT...I know I do!

So does WOT mean 58% throttle..?

No...it means ALLTHETHROTTLE. As in 100% of the throttle.

I'm downright puzzled how nobody had the idea of flooring the throttle while the car was off while someone stared in awe down the velocity stacks on the ITBs to see how much the throttle plates weren't opening.

The best part about that problem was that it literally took all of 5 minutes to fix: one bolt on the pedal stopper, and approximately 8/17ths of a turn on the throttle cable to adjust the slack.

Anyways, once we had the car running on basically a 97% different tune from the original settings, we started driving around and immediately noticed that pretty much every single cell on the fuel map was reading higher values than what was previously in there. By a lot. Scrat was running so lean that I really didn't understand how it made 106whp on a generic tune. Grace of the Miata gods perhaps? Its a miracle the motor didn't blow on the dyno that day making so much power from so little fuel.

I tried my best to salvage a joke of a tune, but in the end, the damage was already done.

Ok, I'm done for the night.

/rant
don't get caught
Stoly
#loftlife

postby Stoly » 06/23/14 @ 10:47

Fucking nightmare of fucking fuck of fucked up fucking proportions.
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 06/23/14 @ 10:49

What the actual fuck??? I can't believe what I just read. Seriously. Everything I thought I knew about so many things has just been turned upside-down.
I used to have a Miata. Before that, I had a Miata.
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/23/14 @ 10:53

i can't even begin to think what...i just don't. fuck this.
what i'm really surprised about is the tune aspect.
what happened there?
can we get some actual numbers on the afr?
i didn't realize you could program the megasquirt to run off of a narrow band?
don't get caught
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 06/23/14 @ 10:58

phillyb™ wrote:what i'm really surprised about is the tune aspect.

This times eleventy billion infinity.
mk2tmr2
workin' it in

postby mk2tmr2 » 06/23/14 @ 11:08

I mean, shit. If the tune wasn't balls-out catastrophic in nature, absolutely none of this would have happened. We'd all be congratulating Stoly on his near 150whp on the dyno from his awesomely tuned, hand-built motor. And he'd be posting pics from some awesome twisty-roads run this past weekend.

Instead, shitty tune lead to low dyno lead to troubleshooting lead to broken hood plus more tuning lead to broken engine and broken lip.

Seriously - the only thing that can realistically be considered not-someone-elses-fault is the cracked hood. But even that wouldn't have happened if the hood didn't need to be opened.

I'm so pissed off I hate my own cars right meow. I hate the entire car hobby at this moment.
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/23/14 @ 11:15

mk2tmr2 wrote:I hate the entire car hobby at this moment.

yep.
i think i'm actually feeling empathy. not sure...it's not something i'm good at. and as much as i want to congratulate stoly on this amazing feat...it just fucking sucks.
don't get caught
Skinny
the ginger ninjer

postby Skinny » 06/23/14 @ 12:11

Holy fucking fuck balls. What the bloody hell Geoff?
In 30 seconds you'll be dead and I'll be home in time for Corn Flakes.
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 06/23/14 @ 13:53

FUCK........i wanted to see Scrat sooo bad on this trip..fuck fuck fuck
Brutus- 1.6l "meow" turbo miata
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/23/14 @ 13:53

yeah. totally not coming to texas meow.
don't get caught
Teejay187
site admin

postby Teejay187 » 06/23/14 @ 14:14

Sad to see this happen. I hope for a rebuild and to see the car back on IRTBs.

I am a bit interested in numbers. How lean was it?
99' Miata
GeorgeG5
//elite

postby GeorgeG5 » 06/23/14 @ 14:28

tuning my supercharged car with MS, this scares the shit out of me... I'm glad I'm running rich
mx5 2nr
n00b

postby mx5 2nr » 06/25/14 @ 15:05

I am writing this only to say I have no words... I am hoping to view Scrat in person in a few weeks, because reality isn't computing any of this...
/'90 Miata/'13 FRS/'08 F150/'12 Mustang/
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/25/14 @ 23:10

i really can't get enough of this post. i'm like totally going against so much i believe in right meow by cross-posting this, but i don't care.

mk2tmr2 in the scrat thread on cr wrote:OR
Fuck it all. Give up on cars and take up a new hobby like woodworking, philanthropy, home brewing or something else that can't go south so phantastically and quickly.

I've been tempted to indulge in option #3 many times.

phillyb™ in the scrat thread on cr wrote:i've been working on my philanthropy.
just recently i joined a new community and upon being accepted, i wanted more. someone posted some thread about some kid with some shit and had some shitty medical bills and shit and asked the community to donate...so yeah.
here's the link - http://www.gofundme.com/agzqig
light that shit up.

in addition to said philanthropy, i can think of about 4 other times i've donated to something recently.

one of the benefits...

^^^ that's pretty cool.

anyway...woodworking would be pretty cool too. i'd frive to texas and work on shit with stoly. i made a workbench once, it was pretty cool. it was supposed to be where i worked on more pretty cool woodworking-related-shit, but i didn't end up being pretty cool and idk where the workbench is meow.
in first grade, i also made a stool. hell, i make stools all the time

code: select all

:poop:

but i digress...
all of those things are pretty cool.

i hung out with someone last night who started home brewing a few months ago. i think he was finally wrapping up his first two brews. one was a sierra nevada pale ale recipe and idk the other one. he spoke highly of the process and being able to enjoy his own beer.
last night was a joyous time with wings of the garlic-hot, mchale, teriyaki, and bbq variety. we had some beers, shots, moonshine!
fuck, i totally forgot about the moonshine - i guess that's how that works. lots of fun. smelled like fucking rubbing alcohol - tasted like strong vodka and was surprisingly smooth. i think if you throw some cherries in there for a few months, that shit'd be fucking phantastic.

another thing i'd like to add to steve's list...i feel like being more positive in general is always a good thing. if any of you guys answer the phones for work (customer service, sales, etc.) you can start answering the phone differently. "hello. i can help you" is much more appealing that, "hello, how can i help you?"
the first thought is, "ummm...shit...i don't know. i'm supposed to be asking you the fucking questions here."
SEE HOW FUCKING POSITIVE THAT WAS!?

anyway
i currently feel amazing. i have been having some great hair days, but i'm a little annoyed with my stache - the right side isn't as full as the left side. the left side looks amazing so i don't want to trim it. eh...i'll get over it. i currently have second day hair and while i haven't even brushed it yet today, it's still falling like a beautiful lion's mane.

:phillyb™:
don't get caught
sj_ripples
//elite

postby sj_ripples » 06/26/14 @ 00:15

Beautiful lions mane. Hahaha you have sexy hair phillyb™
shitty black '93 sitting on purple rotas
Sploinkin
//elite

postby Sploinkin » 06/26/14 @ 12:51

I enjoyed your post over there as well as here phillyb™.
phillyb™ wrote:and we still listened. just proving once more that cpb is cooler than your gf
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/26/14 @ 13:47

it's sooooo tl dr, but whatever.
so anyway...i THINK stoly may be getting a new block
don't get caught
Crazyblackman
//elite

Scrat

postby Crazyblackman » 06/26/14 @ 14:24

If you're lying..... :suicide: :brokenheart:

If you're telling the truth :tits:

Edit: iHatePhillyB
last edited by Crazyblackman on 06/26/14 @ 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/26/14 @ 14:43

you're*
you're*
don't get caught
doubleoh9
//elite

postby doubleoh9 » 06/27/14 @ 03:52

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :suicide: that's just a damn shame.
Viva La Resistance!!!
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 06/27/14 @ 11:52

Stoly wrote:I have had a few conversations with Track Dog Racing (TDR) as well as with a couple of independent companies. I've also consulted with many people and have done a lot of research and allowed myself to kind of go through all the emotions one faces when something like this happens. I will endeavour to be as fair as possible and as objective as possible.

Despite all that has happened in regard to the events of Sunday, there are three basic differences of opinion. I will outline each of these differences as this post unfolds. Sadly, it is evidently clear that these differences are not going to be resolved. Equally by both parties, by the way.

Lastly, I invite Track Dog Racing to voice their opinions/theories as they see fit. There are three sides to every story.

Without any further ado...

1. Root Cause / Chain-of-Events
We agree that there is a hole in the side of my block. Given the sounds the motor made before making the hole, I'm inclined to believe that the oil pump went out, the motor was put into an oil starvation situation, and the motor threw a rod. Without tearing the motor apart to make 100% certain, I am willing to concede that oil starvation caused the hole in the block.

That, sadly, is where our agreements end.

The tune, or lack thereof, is going to be an oft referenced topic throughout this post. I'm a big proponent of 'root cause' investigations. Maybe that stems from my previous career as a Bioenvironmental Engineer. The end is really the beginning when you work backwards. For those that don't know, root cause is similar to Patient Zero with a healthy dash of the Butterfly Effect.

Example - Your on the side of the road with a flat tire, which was caused by a nail on the road, which flew out of a truck bed because the guy jerked the wheel and hit a bump. He jerked the wheel because the coffee was too hot because the girl that made it lost her puppy the night before and wasn't thinking clearly, etc etc.

With a basic understanding of root cause and the finality of the hole in the block, there is a chain-of-events that led up to that. Point Z is the hole in the block. My Point A is the tune and, in particular, the massive lean environment the motor was forced to run in.

TDRs opinion is that all of the events that occurred on Sunday are independent of each other. The hole in the block wasn't caused by the tune or the lean condition and therefore the events are unrelated and they are not accountable for the catastrophic engine failure.

I, and several others, are of the opinion that the lean condition/tune did start a chain of events that led to the destruction of the motor. Point A is the tune, B is the lean condition, C is the wide band, D is the lack of Alpha-N, E is the massive internal heat created, F is the inability for the oil pump to maintain functionality under these conditions, etc. Math and science demand logic and that the most obvious solution/answer is the right one.

TDR believes there is no correlation of these events and that it was a simple case of bad luck/bad pump. The tune didn't cause the hole so therefore the tune is not Point A. Point A is the oil pump and Point Z is the hole. Points B-Y are negated by the hole not being directly caused by the tune.

I respectfully disagree.

2. The Tune.

I was told, more than once this week, that whilst that tune might not have been the best tune, it was a usable tune. At the very least, it was usable to get the car to and from the paint shop. They were both very clear in pointing out that I was supposed to bring the car back to them right after it left the paint shop for final tuning.

"Temporary tune" is something I hope to never hear orated ever again in my life. TDRs opinion is that the tune is not related to any of the other events. And that the tune was a temporary tune and that whilst no one ever really wants to say, "it's your fault", "you were supposed to" is really the same thing. They are confident the lean issue, and other issues, would have been seen, found, solved, corrected, etc. had I only brought the car back when I was supposed to.

The tune was never intended to be used long term and I was even reminded that it wasn't designed to be used on a track. It was just a temporary tune, plain and simple. A basic get you to Mark and Mark II's paint shop and back.

I was also told that the wide band not sending a signal to the ECU didn't cause the hole in the block and therefore not as much of an issue as it is being presented.

I, of course, have a few concerns and disagreements with this assessment. I pressed William to define 'temporary tune'. It is about 100 miles round trip between the two shops and I'm curious what my tune was designed to handle in either engine hours or miles. When does a temporary tune no longer become a valid tune to use? Is there a difference between 100 miles and 1000 miles if the car is driven the same way?

Once it was clear that the car wasn't immediately going back to TDR for more tuning, why was I not told that my temporary tune was only designed to get me to and from Mark's?

Bottom line. The tune didn't put the hole in the side of the block and there are a lot of satisfied customers and they have tuned lots of cars without incident. All true. They do have happy customers and have tuned lots of cars. And the premature destruction of the oil pump was the final nail in the coffin.

Again, this is, according to TDR, all unrelated. I'm trying to be objective but it is difficult when logic isn't allowed to be a part of the discussion.

Where this argument loses all merit. For the sake of argument, let's say the motor could have been saved if someone got a hold of the tune before Sunday.

- I bought a mini laptop for MS. I took said laptop to TDR when I delivered Scrat. I asked, more than once, for them to ensure they loaded my files on that laptop for future use. They did not, or would not, provide me those files.
- In May of this year I emailed Gary and CC'd ShadowMX5 asking for my files to be emailed to both of us as ShadowMX5 had just gone from turbo to IRTB and we wanted to take a look at my files and settings to help get his going. That email was ignored and I was never sent my tune.

If a corrected tune would have saved the engine then why wasn't I given my tune/files/maps/etc.?

I was supposed to bring it back immediately so ergo there is a burden of responsibility on my shoulders. If so, shame on you for ignoring all of my requests. It could've been saved if someone saw that tune sooner... maybe so. Shame you couldn't fulfill one of my multiple attempts to get what might have saved it.

3. The Bolt.

TDRs opinion is that the car did not leave their shop whereby the TPS reading would register 0% and 58%. It was tuned correctly to include TPS being at the needed 0 and 100%.

The bolt, under the strain and vibration of normal driving, loosened itself on the gas pedal lever restricting my throttle over time. When I asked how it would be possible to tighten itself up at that point I was told that he's seen bolts do a lot of weird things under lots of weird conditions. I had to allow logic to run its course. I had to allow myself to investigate. Was there was a mathematical possibility, no matter how miniscule, that a bolt could loosen itself? Is there a mathematical possibility, no matter how miniscule, that the bolt could tighten itself?

The bolt created a situation whereby the engine was always lean as the magical moving bolt didn't allow the MS to ever run in the cells with richer fuel.

Where this argument loses its merit. It that bolt is even OEM and was even adjusted, touched, utilized as part of the tuning process it would have, mathematically rendered itself useless. If you backed the bolt out far enough to allow the back of the pedal to touch the floorboard that bolt would no longer render itself useful. It wouldn't actually serve a purpose.

This is their biggest 'get-out-of-jail-free' card. TDR - why did you leave the bolt in after adjusting it so I would have 100% throttle? Why did you, a premiere race shop, leave (put on???) an unneeded bolt on my lever? Why?

Whether by design or by vibration, the bolt was retarding my motor to 58% throttle. Unrelated to any other event.

I less than respectfully disagree.

The arguments defy logic and reason.

I'll try to put all of this into a nutshell from both perspectives. Both outlines will phollow a Point A to Point Z format

TDR:
- Lean tune was fine for an undetermined and/or undefined amount of time as a temporary tune.
- Using nicer words, some blame falls on me for not bringing it back sooner for more tuning i.e. I was supposed to bring it back after paint.
-- Negated by their refusal to provide me my own tune after several requests which would have given us a lot more time to correct the tune than we had.
- The bolt is the mystery and the only logical reason the engine ran lean after moving itself.
-- Negated by the fact that had that bolt ever been adjusted to allow 100% it would have been rendered useless and unneeded.
- Oil pump failure created oil starvation. Oil starvation threw a rod.
- Every event is an independent event with zero connection between any of them.

My trusted advisors, experts, friends:
- There is a chain of events whereby Point A is the tune and Point Z is the result as outlined above.

These are the facts as I know them to be true and I have endeavoured to present their opinions without emotion or malice. I invite them to present any additional information they feel pertinent.

It is going to take a while but Scrat will be back. I'm determined and know my friends and I can build, and tune, an amazing car. And we're going to do just that.

Quick little tidbit of root cause humour... My GF was given the green light to start looking for a house tonight. I need a two car garage in order for us to do this. Someday I'll be standing in my garage answering the question as to why I gave up my condo after giving up my awesome loft and the root cause answer will wander through the maps of my MSPnP...

A sincere thank you to all of my friends. You're the best part of owning Scrat.
don't get caught
mx5militia
Eunos Snow Removal Co.

postby mx5militia » 07/13/14 @ 19:03

={
WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/14/14 @ 10:13

ShadowMX5 wrote:
Lincoln Logs wrote:I don't understand why people make, "temporary tunes," it takes 30 minutes to make a car actually safe to drive on the road.

This is one of the key factors in this whole debacle. I spent just under 3 hours of my own time correcting what a fully fledged shop couldn't spare the time for. If they had just put in 3 more measly hours of wideband and ECU setup, none of this would have happened.

Granted, that is saying that TDR could actually set up the wideband and ECU properly to begin with. Guess not...

etikoner wrote:Okay, I definitely understand what you mean by that. But still, I can't imagine creating a tune where the engine is set to run dangerously lean when it's not being pushed to full throttle stints. Then again, it would probably mean that pushing it to redline with the tune being at that state would cause the engine to run at a very dangerous level. Why TDR thinks a "temporary" tune is safe to run for whatever period of time is troubling, as well as the fact that they couldn't answer the man's damn calls or emails requesting the files.

This was quite the red flag for me when Gary refused to send a reply email back to Geoff and I when he requested a copy of his msq file from them. The tune that he paid good money for, and Gary couldn't be bothered to send an attachment in an email to him.

At least we know why meow; if he had sent the map, we would have immediately seen that the tune was shit weeks ago. Unfortunately, since he didn't, we couldn't get the tune fixed before everything went downhill very quickly.

Which brings me to my next point: the lean spots (more like the whole thing) in the fuel map.

You don't tune a map to be purposefully, excessively, and dangerously lean at any part of the map. You just don't. You tune the required fuel at each cell in the map to jive with the target AFR's for that point. I mean, if they had actually calibrated and set up the wideband outputs properly the first time, they could have just ran an autotune and called it good! It would have been a hell of a lot better than that BS map that was in there.

curly wrote:1) If you altered your throttle pulley by any amount of diameter, you have to alter the throw of the cable to reach 100% throw.

An old motorcycle trick is to throw a zip tie in the groove of the throttle pulley. The cable still stays in the groove, but you've meow got a quick twist throttle. Same goes for the ITBs. A small pulley would require more throttle movement to open the taps.

2) I can easily make my throttle read 58% while pushed to the floor with a few clicks of the mouse. If the tune wasn't touched much after getting the car to run in order to let you drive it to/from shops, it wouldn't be a far reach to assume the TPS was never calibrated, and it just so happened the voltage Scrat output at full throttle equaled 58% of whatever the MS thought was full throttle.

There's a little bit of info related to this that I didn't bring up in my earlier posts as it was fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but since you know these systems well, I'll tell you precisely what I saw.

When I initially hooked up TS to the MS in Scrat, before I changed any settings at all, I had Geoff start the car and rev it a bit in the garage before we set out to start changing things. It was obvious that the TPS was never calibrated to begin with, as the throttle position gauge on the TS display was extremely erratic and never went over 20% I believe. I guess it didn't really matter at the time, since TDR had the tune set up in Speed Density, and was running with MAP being the primary accel enrich strategy.

Once I realized that the TPS had never been calibrated, I told Geoff that we needed to do that before going any further with the tuning, as it is obviously one of the first things any normal person would do when doing the initial setup for a MS unit.

Once we did the calibration, I was stunned to see that the TPS wasn't reading anything over 58%. We calibrated it over and over, trying some different methods like calibrating from the throttle linkage rather than the gas pedal. It was then that we realized that TDR had never even set the throttle plates to open further than 58%, which ended up being concurrent with the TPS reading in TS. Literally 5 minutes of bolt removing and cable adjusting yielded 100% throttle the very first time we calibrated it.

Pretty obvious to me that there was an extreme oversight there.

curly wrote:I'm not sure how much of a rush tdr was in to get scrat back to you in a timely manner.

Also, judging from the fact that Scrat was at TDR for as long as it was, I'd guess there was pretty much no timetable set up; it was going to get done when they got around to it. They can take their sweet time with all the mechanical bits and the physical "build" of the car, but when it comes to the tuning phase, which is equally as important, you get a joke of a tune to go along with your built motor with cams and ITBs.

Also, kind of a phunny bit of info amongst the sea of shit: Both Ben's girlfriend and my girlfriend immediately knew that the tune was shit when they glanced at the maps. I guess Gary wasn't clever enough to fool them even! :woolery:
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/14/14 @ 10:14

GreaseMonkey2000 wrote:No updates Geoff? :dunno:

Stoly wrote:The silence from TDR is deafening, isn't it?

This thread is only open for a couple of reasons... A PSA to anyone researching shops that only work on Miatas and as an avenue to answer the questions posed and/or left unanswered.

On that note, I'll ask one more time for the people in the back.

(Take the massive hole in my block out of the equation for a moment)
1. Explain how my tune was an appropriate tune and how any customer would be justified in spending that amount of money on that tune.
1a. Explain why my wideband was not properly set-up.
1b. Explain why it was set-up using Speed Density instead of Alpha-N.
1c. Explain why the input values are so far removed from the safe tune a MSPnP comes with. Those values were input with intent. What was the intent?
1d. Explain the TPS debacle.
1e. Why was my tune not loaded on the laptop I left with TDR despite multiple requests to do so.
1f. Why was my email ignored when I asked for my tune via email in May?

2. Define 'temporary tune'.
- I am looking for a definitive answer in either miles or engine hours.
2a. Why was I not given the parameters and your definition of a temporary tune when I picked the car up?
2b. What justification and/or reasoning do you have in driving Scrat the way you did on what is meow being defined as a temporary tune?
2c. When I was logistically unable to bring the car back to you after paint, why was I not then warned that my tune was intentionally designed to be temporary?
2d. Are you going to continue to insult me by implying that I'm partially to blame by not driving the car back to TDR directly from Mark's shop?

3. You are hinging quite a bit, including your reputation, on a theory that the bolt on my gas pedal somehow vibrated loose, moved, and then retightened itself on a lock nut.
3a. Do you have any other examples of this happening?
3b. Do you really believe that the .1 AFR difference between your definition of lean and rich was an appropriate tune and that the bolt is really why I never got into the "rich" cells?
3c. Is it your professional opinion that had the bolt not moved (we all know it didn't but it's your only straw, isn't it?) that the .1 AFR difference was appropriate?

The other purpose in keeping this thread open is to offer the following to TDR. My proposal is simple and it could put all of this to rest. Put my tune on your Miata of choice and drive it at Hallett on that tune. It's a safe tune, according to you, and I can think of no better way for a Miata shop to prove it than to run it on one of their cars.

Run it way too lean for way too long with 58% throttle, no wide band, etc. and let us know how that pans out for you. Except you need to run yours on Alpha-N instead of Speed Density unless you swap on some IRTBs for this little experiment.

I look forward to reading your results.
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/14/14 @ 10:16

Trackdog wrote:Since Geoff wants to public discuss his problems based on assumptions I will try to enlighten the forum. Where do we start, let’s talk about the temporary tune. The day Geoff came to the shop to pick up his car, we did a quick tune in about an hour before he got there so he could test drive his car. This was NEVER meant to be nothing more than a safe tune to run up and down the street. He would later drive his car to a storage building until the paint and body shop was ready. Geoff was to bring the car back over when complete. Paint work I believe took about 6 months. This 1.6 engine was the strongest 1.6 we have ever driven. If you could have seen Geoff’s smile you would know this was more than 106 HP. I would have estimated around 145+ RWHP.

What no one knows is this is Not a high compression engine. We did not specify components in this engine. When the car was brought to us the engine was installed. Unfortunately the head had a crack in the exhaust valve guide area due to previous engine builder. We built Geoff a new TDR ported head. The forged pistons were deep dished. I would estimate maybe 8.8 to 1 compression ratio. This would be a good forced induction engine and as such Geoff was going to install our Rotrex supercharger kit. With that in mind, you can be more aggressive on timing with low compression.

Comment about the MS was still reading using a narrow band signal. If you know about tuning you know there is Closed Loop, generally below 4000 RPM and Open Loop above 4000 RPM. When you are in Open Loop, your AFR is based on the tuning blocks that you have set. If you tune by a Wide Band AFR Gauge you can set your fuel blocks appropriately for the AFR. The Wide Band input on the MS would have been programmed on the next visit for a final tune. Again this was a quick tune for Geoff to test drive and was discussed again when the car was picked up that he would bring the car back for final tune.

Comment about the throttle position reading 58%. Obviously, no one in all these comments knows about this ITB setup. First of all, in order to read 58% you Had to have a 0 to 100% reading. The comment about removing the bolt from the pedal stop, that needs to be put back and left alone. If you are familiar with the stock throttle cable, it is a solid ball on the end. The ITB throttle cable uses an Adjustable T-mount that has a screw that pinches on the cable. Some of you have seen these before; they are used on lawn mowers, mini bikes and go-karts for their throttle cable. The way they work is you slip the T-mount over the cable and tighten using a screwdriver. I can guarantee that these T-mounts CAN SLIP. There is no doubt in my mind, if there was less than 100% throttle position reading it was this item letting the throttle cable gain some slack. This can be tightened by pulling the cable, sliding the T-mount down and retighten. If Geoff would have brought the car back we would have educated him on this component to be aware of.

If the engine ran lean on the dyno, by all means stop pulling! Seriously, any dyno person with some smarts would have stopped immediately and assessed the problem. You don’t keep running! Even if we had a final tune on the engine, if you hold the throttle partial open to red line you will be running leaner then full throttle. Timing is higher in about 80% of full throttle and continues to drop as the vacuum goes toward zero. Once you get passed the Open Loop level, fuel is based on the fuel block settings. For those of you who do not have ITB’s and that would be most, the difference between full throttle and partial vacuum is like -5 to -8 vacuum. That is a very narrow window to adjust between partial and full. When we made our Quick tune for Geoff to test drive (again test drive) the car, the AFR were around 12.2 to 12.5 at full throttle.

The conversation I had with Geoff after the failure, he told me the engine was running hot and the oil pressure was low. Cruising down the road I doubt the AFR was lean enough to cause overheating. If the oil pressure is low the friction of the bearings would increase in short order and either lock up the engine or destroy the bottom and top end in very short period. We have seen a few oil pump failures, two in the last two months alone. I also experienced my own failure during a track day event. Oil pumps use a spring loaded piston that under higher pressure opens. It is variable as you would notice on a good oil pressure gauge. Sadly these pistons stick in an open position and will basically provide little to no oil pressure at idle. At higher RPM where the bypass would normally be open pressure would build up as normal.

Unfortunately, all it takes is a few seconds or minutes to have a low oil pressure situation to do damage to a bearing and then it is all downhill from there. We rebuild a lot of engine and some with rod bearing knock. Some customers claim they always check their oil and maybe they do. If the bypass piston stuck for just a short period and then released back to normal, the damage is done. I think Geoff said this was a new oil pump, I don’t know. Either way, it is a mechanical device known to fail, luckily not very often.

I have not heard any comments about the spark plug conditions. Was there any aluminum on the ceramic section? All this is speculation on your end about the failure, but I am confident in what I have stated above. If you were driving down the road when it failed, this was not due to a lean condition. You should have your AFR gauge where you can see it and not in the glove box. I am sad that Geoff had multiple problems with the car from the engine to the body damage, when it rains it pours. I am not pointing fingers at anyone and the door is always open for you Geoff. I am not sure that based on Geoff’s comments that even if the throttle cable had not slipped causing partial throttle would have anything to do with the engine failure. I wish Geoff would have brought us the car as promised for a good tune, but oil pressure issues that would have killed the engine anyway.

The entire discussion has been based on assumptions and not facts. No one has opened the motor and investigated the failure. Geoff, you are a good friend and a good customer. We open the opportunity to bring us the engine or car and let’s open the engine together. We have always support the Miata community.

Gary
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/14/14 @ 10:33

ShadowMX5 wrote:
Trackdog wrote:The day Geoff came to the shop to pick up his car, we did a quick tune in about an hour before he got there so he could test drive his car. This was NEVER meant to be nothing more than a safe tune to run up and down the street. He would later drive his car to a storage building until the paint and body shop was ready. Geoff was to bring the car back over when complete. Paint work I believe took about 6 months. This 1.6 engine was the strongest 1.6 we have ever driven. If you could have seen Geoff’s smile you would know this was more than 106 HP. I would have estimated around 145+ RWHP.

So you had the car at your shop for years, but only spent an hour tuning it. Genius.

If it was a temporary tune, what was the limit that he could have driven it? Obviously you guys thought it was a good enough tune to romp on to redline, but normal highway driving and driving around town is not okay? I don't see the logic in that at all. If you guys figured out in your masterful logic that Geoff wasn't bringing Scrat back immediately after getting the paint work done, why didn't you call/email/smoke signal him that the tune wasn't good for him to drive on?

Nothing changed on the car between when it left your shop and Geoff got it dynoed. It made 106whp the entire time. 145whp with low compression pistons? Really? Give me a break...

Trackdog wrote:What no one knows is this is Not a high compression engine. We did not specify components in this engine. When the car was brought to us the engine was installed. Unfortunately the head had a crack in the exhaust valve guide area due to previous engine builder. We built Geoff a new TDR ported head. The forged pistons were deep dished. I would estimate maybe 8.8 to 1 compression ratio. This would be a good forced induction engine and as such Geoff was going to install our Rotrex supercharger kit. With that in mind, you can be more aggressive on timing with low compression.

Everyone knows its a low comp engine. The timing was still ABSURDLY aggressive. 40 degrees of advanced timing at 3000 RPM? I lol @ that.

Trackdog wrote:Comment about the MS was still reading using a narrow band signal. BLAH BLAH BLAH...

It took me literally 1 hour to reconfigure the wideband and fix your clusterfuck of wiring to output properly and give a proper signal to the MS unit. I lol @ your thought that running a wideband that wasn't even hooked up properly, LET ALONE calibrated that it was perfectly fine until the car came back.

Trackdog wrote:Comment about the throttle position reading 58%. Obviously, no one in all these comments knows about this ITB setup. First of all, in order to read 58% you Had to have a 0 to 100% reading. The comment about removing the bolt from the pedal stop, that needs to be put back and left alone. If you are familiar with the stock throttle cable, it is a solid ball on the end. The ITB throttle cable uses an Adjustable T-mount that has a screw that pinches on the cable. Some of you have seen these before; they are used on lawn mowers, mini bikes and go-karts for their throttle cable. The way they work is you slip the T-mount over the cable and tighten using a screwdriver. I can guarantee that these T-mounts CAN SLIP. There is no doubt in my mind, if there was less than 100% throttle position reading it was this item letting the throttle cable gain some slack. This can be tightened by pulling the cable, sliding the T-mount down and retighten. If Geoff would have brought the car back we would have educated him on this component to be aware of.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH NOBODY IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD KNOWS ABOUT ITB SETUPS. WELL HERE'S A NEWSFLASH GARY:

NEITHER DO YOU!
If you had even bothered to hit the damn gas pedal while having one of your employees look down the velocity stacks, you would have seen that the throttle plates didn't even open up more than halfway! If that kind of oversight doesn't speak volumes about your lack of care with this build, then I don't know what does.

Your bullshit idea that the throttle cable could have slipped is just that: bullshit. After removing the magical bolt that has loosening and tightening properties when used in conjunction with a lock nut, we thoroughly checked the throttle cable linkage and made sure nothing was wrong with it and that it was secure, since we no longer could trust that TDR could turn a single bolt properly on Scrat.

Trackdog wrote:Once you get passed the Open Loop level, fuel is based on the fuel block settings. For those of you who do not have ITB’s and that would be most, the difference between full throttle and partial vacuum is like -5 to -8 vacuum. That is a very narrow window to adjust between partial and full. When we made our Quick tune for Geoff to test drive (again test drive) the car, the AFR were around 12.2 to 12.5 at full throttle.

SHOULDN'T HAVE TUNED IN SPEED DENSITY. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Trackdog wrote:I have not heard any comments about the spark plug conditions. Was there any aluminum on the ceramic section? All this is speculation on your end about the failure, but I am confident in what I have stated above. If you were driving down the road when it failed, this was not due to a lean condition. You should have your AFR gauge where you can see it and not in the glove box. I am sad that Geoff had multiple problems with the car from the engine to the body damage, when it rains it pours. I am not pointing fingers at anyone and the door is always open for you Geoff. I am not sure that based on Geoff’s comments that even if the throttle cable had not slipped causing partial throttle would have anything to do with the engine failure. I wish Geoff would have brought us the car as promised for a good tune, but oil pressure issues that would have killed the engine anyway.

You guys installed the wideband in the glove box, lol. Either way, you can see the damn thing through the gauge holes in the dash pad. We were driving the car while keeping an eye on the wideband, but guess what...the values weren't consistent with what TunerStudio was reading. Maybe if you bothered to actually calibrate it, the wideband numbers would actually mean something. All falls back on you there.

When did anyone ever say anything about the throttle cable slipping?! The damn throttle plates opened to 58% before Geoff or I ever turned a single bolt on the car. You guys were the ones who were bright enough to leave the ITB system half functioning at best.

Trackdog wrote:The entire discussion has been based on assumptions and not facts.
Gary

This is the best sentence in this entire post.

Hey Geoff,

I guess we just assumed that the bolt was the thing keeping the ITB's from hitting 100% throttle

I guess we just assumed that the wideband should have been left alone, as TDR knew what they were doing when they decided it would run better whilst un-configured and outputting bad values to the MS.

I guess we just assumed that Gary would email you a copy of your tune when you asked for it. Not like you paid money for that thing anyway.

Either way,

This post made my day.
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/14/14 @ 10:33

Stoly wrote:Hat tip to brontosaurus for quoting Gary's response in its entirety. This will ensure that his original post will remain even if he edits it later.

ShadowMX5 - You have the skills of a surgeon with a scalpel and did a beautiful job on that incision.

I'll leave everyone with one final tidbit as food for thought. And it is how Scrat's time concluded at TDR so it seems fitting to conclude my contribution to the thread sharing that story with all of you.

You had my car for a lot longer than anticipated or predicted. For the most part, I allowed our friendship to curb the customer in me and not only displayed an unnecessary amount of patience, but I also did everything I could to reflect you and your business in the best possible light. Because we were friends first and foremost.

You tuned my car for an hour. One hour. And you are correct, Gary, Scrat did go to a storage unit for almost four weeks between TDR and Mark's.

Why, Gary?

You could have tuned my car for three weeks. In return for my patience I asked if Scrat could stay at TDR for the few weeks Mark needed to clear out the current project and bring Scrat in. I even offered to pay bay rent, as you recall.

You declined to help a friend or allow me to pay bay rent.

Instead, I was forced into getting a storage unit for almost four weeks because you stated that the car ran and that you were done with it and you did not want it to be at your shop any longer.

Scrat sat in a storage unit one mile from your shop for nearly a month because you couldn't do a friend a favour and keep the car safe. And you certainly couldn't be bothered to take advantage of those three weeks to ensure the money I'd spent with you completed the project in its entirety i.e. checking and fine tuning the tune.

It ran. You were done with it. You didn't want it in your shop any longer.

I do appreciate you pointing out exactly what my friendship meant to you.
don't get caught
phillyb™
//banned

postby phillyb™ » 07/14/14 @ 10:38

black roadster wrote:
Trackdog wrote:I have not heard any comments about the spark plug conditions. Was there any aluminum on the ceramic section?

This

black roadster wrote:
Trackdog wrote:No one has opened the motor and investigated the failure.

and this.

What amazes me Geoff is that no one has actually cracked open the motor and yet everyone knows why it blew. :suicide: If it was the tune, you should have massive detonation, the plugs should show signs of lean condition as well.

I am not defending Gary's tune because I'm admittedly ignorant on tuning engines. I just don't have any idea. All I know is Gary has tuned Miatas for over ten years and blown up a lot of his own motors in the early days, learning what to do and not do. We have hundreds of satisfied customers driving and tracking Miatas Gary has tuned and no one has ever blown up.

We can go back and forth that Gary's tune caused the rod to exit stage left but no one has even looked inside the motor to see what actually happened. We welcome seeing and/or assisting with the tear-down with you present.

Let me take you back in time to a few initial comments when you picked up the car by you and mk2tmr2

black roadster wrote:
mk2tmr2 wrote:My mile-or-so stint left me with the following highlights:
• The car pulls just as hard as my 1.8 with a ported '99 head/2mm oversized valves/etc. Rooster made ~140whp (Dynojet) so I'd say Scrat is in that same ballpark.
• Sounds epic
• Idles better than my car by far. But, then again, my car still needs idle tuning so that's neither here nor there. Either way, it was something that struck me as noteworthy having heard a variety of complaints about ITB cars and idle.

Doesn't sound like 106 hp to me. I drove it and it felt way stronger. I really feel something changed between when you drove it the first time and when you showed 58% max throttle. Btw, If you look at the video, it looks like to me like the ITBS are opening more than 58%

black roadster wrote:
stoly wrote:My driving impressions...
- It really does have an incredible sound whether at idle or pulling all the way up to 8K.
- Throttle control is easy; however, it begs you to keep pushing your foot down harder and faster. Could be the rewarding sounds you get...
- Accelleration from 0-2nd gear leaving a stop light is a lot of fun. Pulls hard and you have to keep an eye/ear on things. 5.5K-8K is almost instant.
The engine has awesome pull through the entire power band and it was quite nice having the revs lower on the freeway.

Overall, the car feels... well, new. The interior needs to be buttoned up but the seats are comfortable and everything works as it should. The sound detoning material gives the doors a more solid sound and really does keep the noises down to a comfortable level inside. You can hear and feel the car working but you don't have to yell at each other to converse.

As Steve mentioned, my inspection sticker is three years old and my registration sticker is also expired so the trip to the body shop wasn't really the time to see what he'll do. I think he said it best... flying under the radar was the primary goal.

A final thought... the car makes you feel like you can do anything, which is either a really good thing or potentially a really scary thing. I can't wait to get some track time to learn the car, set the suspension and finalize the tuning (if needed). TDR did an awesome job getting a solid tune but Gary mentioned that he'd like a little more time to look at the tune once we can really open the car up. I'm cool with that!

Above edited to remove impertinent info.

I wasn't involved in the tune or your's and Gary's conversation but my understanding is Gary did what he believes was a quick but safe tune for an IRTB car just to get your car to the body shop and back. As you mentioned above, the car was not street legal so a street tune was not possible. He was under the understanding you would bring it right back after body work. It's obvious you knew it needed to come back and quite honestly, Gary had no idea when it got out of the body shop and I never knew anything about it having to come back or I would have bugged you.

I don't know what should have happened. Should you have had the car tuned immediately upon getting it out of the body shop. Yes. Who is to blame? Gary? because he didn't call you after it left the body shop which was months and months later and since he doesn't phollow this thread had no idea. I know you went through some crazy personal shit and no one could blame you for not having thought of it or forgot that Gary wanted the car back to tune it. The thing I don't understand is you had the tune, as it was on the MS. I'm not sure what else you were looking for? A laptop with Tuner Studio would have pulled it off for someone to look at.

The thing that hurts the most is how you lumped me into all this. From the very beginning, I took ownership of your project and put hundreds of hours of my sweat and dedication into your car. I worked off the clock to update the progress and provide helpful tips to the community. I worked hard to do it right and to the attention of detail I would do for my own car, hell, even more! You started out as a customer and quickly became a friend. Regardless of what Gary did or didn't do in the end with the tune, all I got was delete all references to my car. A big fuck you William! All the work you did wasn't shit and I want all of your work removed. Request immediately granted BTW. Naturally, you were or are still pissed and its easiest to blame the company, but this company is not just Gary. It's me, Debra and Jovany too. All of us strive to provide excellent work and customer service to the Miata community because we love what we do. I know none of us is getting rich over this. We do it for the enthusiasts and our own enthusiasm for these great little roadsters.

I wish you the best in the Scrat rebuild. I know the whole process has had it's up and downs and I admire your dedication. I just wish this chapter had a different ending. Adios.
don't get caught
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 07/18/14 @ 22:42

........ then this happened.
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
vejatabul
//elite

postby vejatabul » 07/23/14 @ 18:58

William tried to talk to me about it at the meet the week before last. I gave him reasonable answers for all of his questions, repeatedly, because he refused to accept my answers and would repeat his question again, and then say "well I don't know anything about tuning" or whatever. He said multiple times, that Geoff should not make assumptions until the motor was torn down. I said that Gary should have done the same. When Geoff called him, Gary's initial response should not have been to deny any responsibility, since the motor was not torn down yet. Instead, he made assumptions and excuses. Assumptions were bad for Geoff to make, but Gary? Oh, well, he can make all the assumptions he wants, evidently. William? Oh, he too can make assumptions, even when he "does not know anything about tuning". At the end of the conversation, William said that I should come up to the shop and talk to Gary about the car. I was like, wtf? It ain't my motherfucking car, he needs to talk to Geoff. The advice I gave William, was to NOT post ANYTHING about Geoff's car on the internet. They need to talk to GEOFF about Geoff's car, and stop spending their time trying to defend themselves. No amount of them posting online will help. Obviously the instant Geoff was mad at them, he ceased to be a customer to them, and began to be a opponent.

edit:
I almost forgot...
William blocked me on facebook. I can only assume that it had something to do with Scrat, but, to be honest, I am a pretty big fucking dick.
Stoly
#loftlife

postby Stoly » 07/23/14 @ 23:12

I could never get the math to work out in my favour...

Seventeen words are often too many for @phillyb™ to actually read so I'll keep this short.

Sold the car. No regrets. I still don't have any friends. Just family. Family understands.
doubleoh9
//elite

postby doubleoh9 » 07/24/14 @ 01:02

who'd you sell it to? I'd like to keep up with what happens to it
Viva La Resistance!!!
Highschool
//elite

postby Highschool » 07/26/14 @ 13:42

Bummed. Holding for next purchase. :brokenheart:
90' Silverstone / 99' EGM - it'll buff out / 89' PitCrew :unicorn:
Stoly
#loftlife

postby Stoly » 07/26/14 @ 15:16

vejatabul wrote:William tried to talk to me about it at the meet the week before last. I gave him reasonable answers for all of his questions, repeatedly, because he refused to accept my answers and would repeat his question again, and then say "well I don't know anything about tuning" or whatever. He said multiple times, that Geoff should not make assumptions until the motor was torn down. I said that Gary should have done the same. When Geoff called him, Gary's initial response should not have been to deny any responsibility, since the motor was not torn down yet. Instead, he made assumptions and excuses. Assumptions were bad for Geoff to make, but Gary? Oh, well, he can make all the assumptions he wants, evidently. William? Oh, he too can make assumptions, even when he "does not know anything about tuning". At the end of the conversation, William said that I should come up to the shop and talk to Gary about the car. I was like, wtf? It ain't my motherfucking car, he needs to talk to Geoff. The advice I gave William, was to NOT post ANYTHING about Geoff's car on the internet. They need to talk to GEOFF about Geoff's car, and stop spending their time trying to defend themselves. No amount of them posting online will help. Obviously the instant Geoff was mad at them, he ceased to be a customer to them, and began to be a opponent.

edit:
I almost forgot...
William blocked me on facebook. I can only assume that it had something to do with Scrat, but, to be honest, I am a pretty big fucking dick.

I love you, brother. Never thought I'd end up with family like you but thankful I did.

The new owner has asked to remain anonymous and I will honour his wishes.

Scrat will be parted out and spread around.
theAngryMarmot
//elite

postby theAngryMarmot » 07/26/14 @ 15:45

I know everyone is screaming "WWWHHHHYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?"

But, I get it.

Sometimes, when luck with a car has been so bad - you can't help but to lose confidence in the car. As sad as it is, this is true.

Sometimes, it is best to part ways with the car - and start anew with a project that doesn't have the bad ju-ju.

I have had the same luck with some cars. Cars that no matter how much love , effort, and money you put into them - never want to cooperate. Those are the cars you sell, and hope they find an owner they agree with.

My black car for example, no matter what I want to do - that car cooperates and is happy to do so. Even though it has been in two accidents and should have been scrapped both times, the car wouldn't let me. Can't explain it - just how it is.

My last Miatar, the '03 - never cooperated. Everything it resisted. It was not the car for me. So I sold it, and it began a new life and from what I know is cooperating with the new owner.

Stoly, hopefully when the ecstatic / happy / hate / frustration / happy / hate / disappointed / why me / happy / etc rollercoaster known as Scrat leaves your thoughts you will begin with a new project. Your continue dedication to that car should (hopefully) be applied to a new project - one that I hope cooperates and brings you happiness.
Stoly
#loftlife

postby Stoly » 07/26/14 @ 17:41

^^Thank you, Sir. Well said.^^

My next project will be boring...

Food truck.

Selling Texas style BBQ in a state other than Texas...
theAngryMarmot
//elite

postby theAngryMarmot » 07/26/14 @ 18:54

Better be AZ! lol
Crazyblackman
//elite

postby Crazyblackman » 07/26/14 @ 18:57

ARIZONAAAAAAAAAA

return to “build threads”