Help me decide on my NA suspension!

wanna argue about racelands and ohlins? wanna talk about stiffening up your chassis? wanna stiffen the club's chassis? post here
Dyldozer
n00b
location: Probably in your rear view mirror jk I'm from the west nukkah

Help me decide on my NA suspension!

postby Dyldozer » 02/26/15 @ 00:41

Hey fellas! I am looking for some input on my budget suspension build, if you guys would be interested in sharing your thoughts. It would be greatly appreciated.

A little background. I have a bone stock 1992 suspension-wise. It has 83k miles and the shocks haven't been replaced. It doesn't ride like shit yet, but I know that it could be better. I don't plan on tracking this car. I might do some auto cross this summer, but I have already been pushing it's limits regularly, and hit the twisties every chance I get. I plan on staying similar to stock, but with a little bit more beef to it.

I have been looking at two options so far.

Option 1: NA Koni Sports, stock springs, ground control bumps, RB front bar, 949 endlinks. total: 775 give or take

Option 2: KYB GR2, stock springs, FCM bumps, FM sway bar set, 949 endlinks. Total: 670 give or take.

Questions on both. What mounts would you guys use? Do ISC mounts actually lower the car bit, because I am fine with a stock-ish ride height. also, who has a sway bar that they love? I see some like the FM kit for 200, some just use the RB front bar and love it. I know the sway will be huge in terms of handling, so I'm just curious as to who prefers certain set ups.

None of this is set in stone, just trying to get some feedback, and I'm hella interested in shock/spring combos that everybody is using.

Thanks.
I am the Mac Daddy of Heimlich County!

Need starters or Alternators? I get them at wholesale
sidehillwampus@yandex.com
CorkSport - Derrick
//elite

Re: Help me decide on my NA suspension!

postby CorkSport - Derrick » 02/26/15 @ 10:53

Shameless plug for option #1 I have a new set of Koni Yellows for $480 we are trying to get out the door.

-Derrick
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 02/26/15 @ 18:48

I have 1.125" RB bar up front (msm stock rear bar), love it, sweepers are so much more stable after it. 949 endlinks aren't necessary if you're not lowered. I would prefer koni over kyb.
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
Dyldozer
n00b
location: Probably in your rear view mirror jk I'm from the west nukkah

postby Dyldozer » 02/27/15 @ 04:56

you guys kick ass! I am forever grateful for the quick responses! Man I am totally stumped when it comes to this shit. I was really digging Koni yellows but other people shit all over them. A lot of chodes prefer the bilsteins, but I hear the NA bilsteins hella suck. I wasn't all in on the GR-2's because I have heard the AGX's are shit, and I was assuming they were cheaper so they were shit? But I have actually found some good info on the GR-2's recently.
I have a few more questions if you all don't mind.

1. If I plan on running the GR-2's what bump stops would you recommend? I was looking at the FCM 58's and the FCM 46's. Or what are your opinions on ground control bumps?
2. For my 1992, what sway bar would you recommend? I was looking at the part#54100 .93" front sway with the stock bar in the rear.
3. Should I get different shock mounts? people recommend using the FCM mounts, but if I am already keeping this on the cheap with the GR-2's so is it worth it to pay more for mounts than shocks?
I am the Mac Daddy of Heimlich County!

Need starters or Alternators? I get them at wholesale
sidehillwampus@yandex.com
bigx5murf
donated to the club!

postby bigx5murf » 03/01/15 @ 21:49

1-I have no experience with the various aftermarket bump stops, can't help you there.

2-sway bars are more of a tuning tool, than performance part. A stiffer sway bar effectively reduces grip on the end they're installed. A lot of autox'er's disconnect the rear bar to improve corner exit, and it's very effective with low speed corners like in autox. At higher speeds, like at a track day, thicker sway bars can improve stability, especially mid corner. I say hold off on them for the time being, and drive the car with the stocks, and decide if you need to tune it. If you get a thicker front sway, make sure you get the RB blocks to beef up the mounts. Or even better replace the mounts with AWR, or cx racing replacements.

3-I don't see you gaining much past NB shock mounts going aftermarket. Especially if you factor in price.
Life is simple, you make choices, you don't look back.
CorkSport - Derrick
//elite

postby CorkSport - Derrick » 03/12/15 @ 09:27

OP,

What way did you decide to go?

Derrick

return to “suspension and chassis shit”